Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mounted my dash on first with the top of the dash lining up with the 3/4" dash support. Still don't have my engine so I'm working ahead. When I put the body on, I cannot get the body, specifically the middle of the dash area, to fit over the dash and down on the 3/4" support. Looks good everywhere else. Body mounts line up and are installed. When I drilled the holes for the rearview mirror, I found I have almost 3/4" of space between the underside of the body and the top of the 3/4" support. The dash is firmly against the support and does not protrude above it. Any suggestions as to how to get the body to sit down on the support?

Thanks,

Snake

·
ff cobra master craftsman
2,782 Posts
i think they give you 2 nylon spacers for that
reason?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
SB,
My MKIII came with two nylon spacers to mount between the mirror holes and the 3/4" tube. The spacers are about 1/2" to 3/4" thick if I remember correctly. So, it looks like the body is not supposed to sit directly on the 3/4" tube. Is that helpful?

·
Charter Member
3,436 Posts
These guys with the spacer suggestions are correct but I also had to move the 3/4 bar forward using a 2*4 and a BFH. I have added some padding to my dash.

·
Junior Charter Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For clarification. I have a late MKII #5132. They make no mention of the spacers in the build manual. However, I have seen these spacers in the additional fasteners parts bag. If you use the spacer, how do you get it under the body and lined up with the screw holes?

Snake

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
The body does not rest on the 3/4" dash hoop. That's why you're supposed to put the body on and then install the dash. Not doing it this way will result in the dash not fitting correctly.

If you want to fit the dash now, you will have to install the body temporarily and then fit the dash. Remove the body and you are good to go.

That is what we did with J-MAN's car

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The dash does not fit flush with the top of the 3/4 inch bar. The body does not set on the bar but is held down on the top by the mirror screws and the spacers mentioned above. You really can't fit the dash without the body on the car and the mirror screws tightened down. You get the spacers in between the body and the 3/4 tube without the dash on the car. Having said all of this there is a neat trick I picked up here on the Forum for making it all work out fine. When you put the dash pad on, leave a flap at the top and it'll cover any gaps you might have and make everything look just right. Good Luck.

·
6,654 Posts
An issue on the topic of the spacers...

The dash hoop is angled and it's a little tough to drill down through the body right where you want for the mirror/spacer/body mount.

I built an overkill bracket to make this part of the body mount work better. Sorry the picture is blurry but you get teh idea.

-R :D

·
Junior Charter Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Randy,

Thanks for the pic. I remember seeing it on the original post. I notice you have none of the foam stripping on the dash support. I installed it on mine.

Snake

1 - 9 of 9 Posts