Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I order the Autometer ultralites option with my FFR kit will they do the dash cutouts for me?

Thanks, John

·
1,018 Posts
Not sure what the ultralite gauge diameters are compared to the standard cutouts FFR punches out to accomodate the stock donor gauges. I'm guessing that they will supply blank dash only as they've always done in the past with their SW & Smith gauge packages they sell or have sold in the past. I believe the Ultralites replaced the SW package offering. They will, however, mark on the back side of the blank dash (w/ marker) the gauge locations if you ask them nicely. They use the standard (donor gauge) FFR dash cutouts as a template. Anything different and you're on your own. Really not that difficult to cut your own gauge holes.

Doug
FFR2625

[ December 11, 2002, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: d isham ]

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I ordered the dash blank (as I don't know what I'll be using for gauges yet) and they sent it marked without me asking.

·
Super Moderator
29,604 Posts
I ordered a blank dash too. But there weren't any markings on the back. I'm using Autometer 5" speedo and tach, and 2-5/8" engine gauges. I cut out cirles of white paper the same size as the gauges, then placed them where I wanted them on the dash. I then marked the centers, and drilled the holes using an adjustable (1"-6") hole cutter from Home Depot. You have to use a drill press and securely clamp the dash in place.

Holes cut:

Gauges installed:

Dash installed:

2FAST

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,852 Posts
2Fast
Nice work. I was thinking of finding a shop to laser cut the holes but you have inspired me. Do you any more info on the hole saw you used?
TEC

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
The gauges that FFR sent to me were too small to fit in the pre-cut dash panel. (just the tach and speedo). I called them, informed them that they wouldnt fit, Joe told me that they sent the wrong dash panel. They sent out the blank panel right away.
Scott

·
Uber-Geek
1,606 Posts
Tim: It's an adustable circle cutter: they also call it a 'fly cutter'. Usually you'll have a 1/4" Drill in the center, with a collar that the arm attaches to. The cutting bit then attaches to the end of the arm. A bit of a rube goldberg arrangement, but works well. You *MUST* use a press, and be prepared for some noise. (I used the same exact trick to set up my dash.)

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,852 Posts
Actually.....on further consideration an adjustable boring bar on the verticle mill will make short work of it!.. A Fly cutter is usually used to surface large areas of metal. I've never tried boring a hole with one. I can now visualize the tool you are describing though
Thanks
TEC

[ December 11, 2002, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Tim Cronin ]

·
Super Moderator
29,604 Posts
Here is a picture of one. I got mine from Home Depot for $9.95, but it's basically the same

2FAST

[ December 11, 2002, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: 2FAST4U ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts