Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kipper and I both had CV boot failure on the Dyno at 140MPH+ I can not figure out why they twisted unless I had too much grease in the boots and at that speed they caused the heavy end to slow down and twist and tear. I used a clamp tool to install the boots which I thought was tight but someting happened. this is sort of a mystery!
Brian

·
Registered
628 Posts
Kind of unusual for all four to fail.

I had both outers give up. I had NAPA cross them over to a p/n 8448. This is listed as a u-jount, but that was the part number they used. They are for a Jeep if I'm not mistaken.

Problems occur if you get grease on the mating surface where the clamp goes over the boot. The boot will twist and then split. Also, if you put to much grease in them, it expands and causes problems.

I solved it by having the NAPA machine shop guy replace them and I know it was done right.

Hope this helps.

Hank
FFR 1776-II

·
Charter Member
156 Posts
Hi:
I replied to Kipper's post also. Carrol Smith in one of the "to win" books says to put a wire tie in the middle of the boot to keep centrifugal force from spreading the rubber way out and catching on another part of the suspension or car. He says not too put the wire tie on too tight.

Mike

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,333 Posts
How much grease is too much? FFR provides qty 3, 3-ounce packets per joint - I only used 2 packets per joint and that seemed more than enough. The instructions on the grease packets says to pack any extra grease INTO the boot!

I'm not used to these "open" CV's - all the CV's I've worked on in the past (BMW, Porsche, VW, Fiat, etc) were much more closed (sealed?) on both ends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.