Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to tear down my half shafts from a 92 cougar. the inner ones came off easy but the outer (brake side) is not coming off with the hammer method described in the manual. is there something im not doing that may be preventing me. im making sure that the shafts are straight, and i am hitting from all sides, but that doesnt help, they havent moved at all.
or is there a better way to do it?

·
Premium Member
18,134 Posts
I took mine to a local machine shop and they pressed them out. Took them all of 15 minutes, and they charged me $15.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Where in CO are you?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,040 Posts
I used the pipe like in several post here. You get a pipe slightly larger and longer than the half shaft. Slide it over the half shaft and slam it on the floor.
Jeff Hamilton

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
There is a method called the pipe drop. What you do is once the inner is apart, use a piece of 1-1/2" pipe which is a little longer than the axle. Thread a 1-1/2" x 2" coupling on one end. Put the axle in the coupling end of the pipe and drop it to the floor. Put a piece of plywood down first. The force of impact should pop the axle out. There was a rightup on this a long time ago. I'll see in I can dig it up.

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
Great info, I'll be doing this soon. Keep us posted.

·
FFR Builder
349 Posts
I just did this today and it worked like a champ. N&PB, thanks for starting the thread. Convincor, thanks for the solution.
Regards,
Dave

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I cant take credit. I was in the same boat at one time. Thanks needs to go to the owner of that site.(Don) This is something else that should be added to the FAQ's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another important thing that i forgot to say is if you dont have a lock ring pliers you should look into getting a pair i picked up a set from craftsman for about $15 they were item number 47386 (there are like a snap ring pliers, but there are for rings w/out the holes) after hours of struggling with the inner rings and a set of regular snap ring pliers on the main shafts i finally made it over to sears and picked up a pair of these, they made my life 100 times easier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts