Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a glovebox in a wood veneered dash and am trying to figure out how to cut out the glovebox opening cleanly in the dash. Snips are out, I've tried to use the aluminum bit in a rotozip but it doesn't like the hardened aluminum sheeting. I have a set of air sheers - distorts the aluminum. Tried my nibbler - can't control it cleanly to make a straight, smooth cut. I'm quickly running out of ideas and open for any ideas. :(

Brian

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
I've used an electric jigsaw to cut a hole for a radio in a veneered aluminium dash. If you used a fine metal cutting blade and use paper masking tape, which you cut through, to mark out the shape this minimises the risk of splintering and doesn't deform the aluminium. Drill a hole well inside the waste area to get started.

Electric jigsaw=saber saw I think ?

·
Registered
764 Posts
when i cut the aluminum for my tri-states heater , i put a cutting wheel on my dremel tool, its a little slow going but you get a nice clean cut. vince

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
Tried all the ways you did and then some others too...speaking from experience, Dremel tool is the way.

·
1,418 Posts
I would use the jigsaw with the small blade. I clamp it to a piece of plywood that has a hole in it just a little larger than the hole your cutting. Do the same for the glove box. Use masking tap on the aluminum and some kind of lube on the tape for the jigsaw to slide on, I found out that PAM works really well(the stuff my wife uses to spray pots before cooking)It doesn't melt the ink lines and cleans up well. I cut on the inside of the line and then smooth the edges out with a flapper sanding wheel on a Die grinder or drill.

TIP: Use bees wax on all cutting tools and sanding tools for aluminum and they will cut like a hot knife through butter.

Later
Larry D.

·
4,703 Posts
I just used a hole saw on the extremes of the hole.
Two different sizes and then hole saw smaller holes across the straight, then file.
I have a possible dumb question....can you use a plasma cutter on aluminum?

·
6,546 Posts
Yes, a plasma cutter will cut aluminum like it was paper.

I used a cut off wheel and a dremel with the flexible drive attachment to cut my glovebox into my dash. Came out perfect. It's a little slow going, but that works out so you can easily control it.

Really a plasma cutter, a band saw or a scroll saw would be easiest IMHO. I don't have any of those.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
blinn:
Second LarryD's suggestion. Clamp aluminum to a piece of 1/2" or 5/8" plywood, tape area to be cut, draw line on tape, drill starter hole, use sabre saw/jig saw with a fine metal blade and cut on inner side of line(within 1/32"). Finish edge with a dremel or small file. My $0.02.

Allan

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I used a plasma Cutter.I've also done it with a Jig saw.Check your area welders.I'll bet one of them has a Plasma Cutter and if you trace the opening and bring it to them they would do it for just a couple of
.A couple of passes with a file ,hit it with some sandpaper and your done.You can do it with a Jig saw,but a plasma cutter is the way to go for a fast clean cut.

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
I used a cutoff wheel for the straight lines and a jig saw with a fine tooth blade for the curves. Remember, when using the jig, you need to clamp the metal down very close to the cut or it will flex and bend. BTW, I also used my dremmel for some curve cuts. Even with a wheel, the wheel is small enough to handle the curve cuts.

·
Charter Member
842 Posts
This cutter Circle Cutter and a variable speed hand drill will give you perfect holes up to 6 inches in dia. I used it to put speakers behind my seat. Worked like a champ... Go slow with the drill speed and you will be happy with the results... :D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Turn Two:
Have you tried a rotozip? That's what I thought but all it did was mall the edges and mad a very coarse cut. I bought a rotozip circle cutter to cut my guage holes and was very disapointed with the results.

Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts