Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't find any posts on this, but I'm sure someone out there has come up with a clever way to locate where the passenger side roll bar cutouts should go on the body. My body came with the driver's side done but nothing for the passenger side. All of my ideas on the subject so far have been time-consuming, inaccurate or both:)

·
2,990 Posts
Some times there are marks on the body but there weren’t on mine. Make sure you have the body mounted to the frame in it’s final position. Use the existing driver side holes and insert the roll bar to position the body. I don’t think there is a quick easy way to cut the holes. I had to cut both my driver side and passenger side roll bar holes. I used a piece of 2” X .120” wall tubing about 1.5” tall. I used a hose clamp to clamp a piece of metal to the tubing that stuck straight up. Then I clamped a pencil to the end of the metal. I slipped the tubing over the roll bar mounts on the frame and adjusted the pencil so I could rotate the tubing and draw a circle underneath the body where the hole should be. I then found the center of that circle and drilled a 1/8 inch hole from the bottom. Then from the top I used a 2” hole saw using the 1/8 inch hole as a guide. I then used the back tube of one of the roll bars (not the U shaped piece) and stuck it thru the hole down to the mount on the frame. I used a file to adjust the size of the hole so the roll bar would fit all the way down on the mount. I did this with each hole and it turned out pretty good. Good luck.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I haven't had to do this, but what about trying this. Hopefully this will make sense. Take a ruler and tape a marker to it. Hold it against the tube for mounting the rollbar and just slide the ruler around it. Should make a mark right where the hold should be.

Of course this means doing the cutting from the underside, but it should be pretty accurate.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,747 Posts
I'd do my best guess and then cut 1 inch holes.Then I'd mock up the rollbar from some pvc that will fit thru those holes.You should be able to glue together a squared off main hoop w/ the center to center distance the same as the actual bar.Once you see how close it is to the center of the mounts on the frame you will know which way to enlarge your holes to bar size.Good luck!

·
Junior Charter Member
333 Posts
If the mounts on the chassis are symetrical, they should be also on the body. Find a spot you can measure from (center of body, whatever) the use a peice of brown packing paper, draw the holes, flip it over, confirm measurements and transfer the holes to the other side of the body. Just another option.

Peter

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,091 Posts
Have you talked to Rod, he has both cut outs on his. Should be able to measure it for you.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
The factory uses a quick jig to cut the holes. On mine there were not any dimples or marks to start with.

The inside diameter of the roll bar is 1 3/4". Stop by the hardware store and pick up a couple feet of 2" white PVC. This should have the inside diameter of 1 3/4" Cut a 7" piece and slide it over the outside roll bar post on the car. Cut a 10" piece and slide it on the inside post. Drop the body on. Slide the PVC up enough that it touches the bottom of the body and mark it with a sharpie. Take the PVC out and from the underside drill a small hole in the center of your circle. Now from the top drill thru with a hole saw and test fit the roll bar. The rear leg can be measured using the same technique. Now stand back and admire your work.

Hope that helps.

Mike M.

·
Junior Charter Member
790 Posts
Im in the same boat... Mine were marked but have now faded, and cant see them at all. I might swing over to factory five and see if they ca cut them out for a few bucks for me with the jig
One of the bennies of living 10 mins down the road.

·
Premium Member
16,562 Posts
I'll check tonight to see if the central vac pipe I used to make the super port template is the right size to fit over roll bar mounts. If so you could cut sections and put them in place before putting the body on. Slide them up against the body and trace them from the inside. We could also make up a template of my body, as thebicman suggested, if you wanted.

Cheers, Rod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.