Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Charter Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took off the wheels and went to town on my FFR LCA bushings - they were making A LOT of noise and wished that I had discovered the mod before I installed them.

First side took me about 2 1/2 hours - about half of that time was spent figuring out how to remove the bushings while the LCA was still attatched to the spindle. A few sockets and a bench vice later I was in business. Second side only took about 45 minutes (I guess I am a quick learner).

NO MORE NOISE and front end isn't as stiff - well worth it!!!

Kenny

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
I did the same thing as you and did not realize this was a must do mod until after i had installed my LCAs. However, i never got my spindles to release from my lower control arms no matter how much i beat them or tried to force the seperator in. So, i just left it attached for both sides, removed the bushings, cut them, reinstalled them with the spindles still attached.

·
5,573 Posts
Man, you guys are tough! I had a hard enough time last week with the LCA's on my bench! I got them off the spindle thanks to Trent lending me his forks. I can't imagine pressing the bushings out while still on the car. They were dry as the sahara and I destroyed one threaded rod in the process.

I couldnt move the arms by hand before I took them off....with lower ball joint off, just the arm, couldn't budge em with my arms reaching into the wheel well. Brutal.

·
Junior
1,520 Posts
Since this is my 1st post. What is the LCA mod? And what's it for? I'm gathering all the information I can now before I even order my kit. Im getting ready to leave this Saturday to go on a six month deployment. Thinking about my next car helps with the family seperation.

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Originally posted by 03SC:
Since this is my 1st post. What is the LCA mod? And what's it for? I'm gathering all the information I can now before I even order my kit. Im getting ready to leave this Saturday to go on a six month deployment. Thinking about my next car helps with the family seperation.
Do a search for "lower control arm bushing modification" There have been quite a few posts on the procedure. If you bushings are already grooved on the inside, you're good to go. If not, I used a jig saw to cut the grooves. Cut the grooves before you assemble the bushings, it only took me about 15 min to cut the grooves, and about 2 hours to disassemble and then re assemble.

John

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,297 Posts
If anyone still has the old style bushings in their car I would call FFR and tell them you need the correct bushing and spacers. Thats what I did and the new ones came with grooves and the correct length sleeves which is also needed.

Mike O.

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
When did FFR start shipping the kits with the LCA mod already in place? My kit was ordered in June and delivered the first week of Aug. I had the front suspension installed shortly after doing the inventory of my parts.

·
5,573 Posts
I wish I had done that Mike. I am ending up in the same place but cursing that they ever shipped something the way they were. On principle I would have liked the parts sent to me rather than doing it myself.

I would add....if you jack the car, disconnect the shocks, and can't move the suspension by hand through full travel, you should be pulling it apart and finding out why.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts