Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally did it! I was so excited, after about a year researching, placed an order for my FFR roadster yesterday. Was disappointed in the ordering process however. Let me explain. I wanted a blank dash because I knew I wanted a different layout (and possibly different sized gauges). The gentleman I spoke with told me they could not send me a blank dash in place of one with cut-outs. But I could purchase a second dash that would be blank. Purchase a second dash? What do I need two dash's for? Plus the added expense. It happened again a moment later when I ordered the all leather interior option. I asked if I could substitute a leather wrapped steering wheel for the wooden one. I informed him I would pay whatever the difference was. Invariably the answer was no. But I could buy a second steering wheel at full price, then I could have the leather wheel which would complement the leather interior. Plus a second steering wheel for God knows what.
After the whole exchange I kinda felt luke-warm about factory five. Anyone else have this kind of difficulty?

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
This was something that just changed recently.
I think if the parts are there, you should have the option.
The good side is, more than likely you'd be able to sell the extra here in the classifieds.

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts
Don't ever go try to buy a Harley.
They sell a kit. Plain and simple. You want something else it's no longer a kit. My old signature line used to be do you think they will sell it to me piece by piece. The answer was NO!
They needed to streamline the shipping process and special orders were dampening that process.
You could mount the wooden wheel in your garage like I'm doing. (I went with the leather like you want. It is much more comfortable by the way.) Or you could sell it in the classified section. Same with the drilled dash. Your coming to this forum should help to alleviate any angst. :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Ther are lots of people that will buy your extra parts, so don't get too discouraged. I have an extra wheel myself and several other parts i am not using. I think as you go, you will decide to substitute various parts with different brand or type, so don't let the ordering process get you down. Trust me, if you want to sell anything you don't use, it will not be difficult. Good luck with your build.

Mike

·
15,282 Posts
Interesting, and news to me. I ordered three-plus years ago, and was able to make the wood to leather steering wheel swap at that time. No additional charge.

As others say, between the guys here and eBay, you won't have trouble selling your unneeded parts. Sorry you have the hassle of doing it, though.

Cheers, John

·
Banned
496 Posts
Are you supposed to get a leather steering wheel with the leather option? I order Leather interior/seats back in late April and rec'd the wood steering wheel.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
903 Posts
when they run a special they dont do substitutions

·
Junior Charter Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone- and for letting me vent a little. I had no idea there was a demand for extra kit parts. I'm still very excited about starting the build. Kit should be delivered at the end of the month. (Waiting is by far the hardest part!)

P.S. This forum is awesome!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,526 Posts
Dr Jet Set, Your first post is a vent with a thumbs down... You may have set a record!

·
5,559 Posts
I don't really get this new policy as long as they have those options in stock AND the customer is willing to pay the difference in cost (if any), or a "substitution fee" to cover any added parts list changes. Having a blanket policy like that is just not good business inmho. After all one of the major features of having an FFR is the ability to build it how you want it. What's next - you want IRS, but have to buy the 3 link hardware you don't want, just because it is "standard"?!

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
If they're doing this because they can't manage their orders properly, they're moving in the opposite direction of so many other suppliers.

It would be different if they were a manufacturing facility. At Learjet, we have a basic airframe that includes numerous optional components, especially in the wiring harnesses, whether on not you want the options. It's way cheaper for us to build them in at the right time and make everything the same, rather than trying to build each airframe "custom" from the start.

They only kit up parts however. It would be a simple matter to create and control sub-kits and provide them. i.e. interior sub-kits, rear suspension sub-kits, gauge sub-kits.

They need a Methods Engineer.

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
I can understand it from FFR's perspective. They prepack boxes for the standard kit that would obviously be more efficient, and less prone to errors (missing parts, etc.), than making them up on demand. So the difference to them wouldn't just be the difference in price between the two parts but they now would have to crack open a box to substitute the part or make up a "special" box. They would then have to make sure that special box made it into the right order, which is another possible error. So the cost to them is more than just the delta in price. I remember not to long ago when people were complaining about missing or wrong parts. I'm guessing this is FFR's way of streamlining the process. Do you want that order of complaints up front or later? :D

From a customer point of view I would definitely prefer the flexibility but I can also see their side.

I would suggest that they might be able to include all the possible optional stuff in one or two boxes that would be built up on demand separate from the boxes for the base kit. Should also minimize errors since you would have a slot for a steering wheel that needs to be filled but can't be filled twice. That would maximize the efficiency while retaining the flexibility.

Big car manufacturers also do the same type of thing. My boss recently bought a new car and couldn't get A/C on it unless he also got ABS.

Cheers, Rod

1 - 14 of 14 Posts