Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I get closer to doing the interior of my car, I've been thinking of ways to re-work the gauge pod. I am thinking of trying to have a set of gauges custome built in the Porsche Turbo design, using standard Gauges. The bezels would be 1/4" tp 3/8" chrome rings, and the Gauges themselves would be back lit.

I decided to lay it out in Power Point to get a rough Idea of how it might look...

Painless turn indicators will be used above and between the two outer gauges.

As well I'll probably use an Amber LED for the "check engine" light at the bottom left.

A blue LED for the "Bright Light" indicator, on the bottom right.

Does the layout look correct to you?

Also, besides Classic Instruments and Redline Gauge Works, do you guys know of any places that build custom gauge clusters and re-screen the gauge faces?

As always, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Cool looking. I might overlay your steering wheel so you can get a feel for visual blockage. I went with a layout in Dave B's build post and the Speedhut Revolution gauges. With the stock FFR steering wheel, there is a fair amount of visual blockage - at least where I don't want it. Sketching in the existing space / back panel for the gauges would give more of a sense of what is workable too.

I would consider putting the tachometer in the center - but that is my personal preference. I think it gives a more exotic feel.

I might move the turn signal indicators in, to either side of your speedo / center gauge. I would then probably move the high beam and check engine light to where you have your turn signal indicators now. Or possibly go to the bottom of either side of your speedo.

Can't wait to see a finished product!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cool looking. I might overlay your steering wheel so you can get a feel for visual blockage. I went with a layout in Dave B's build post and the Speedhut Revolution gauges. With the stock FFR steering wheel, there is a fair amount of visual blockage - at least where I don't want it. Sketching in the existing space / back panel for the gauges would give more of a sense of what is workable too.

I would consider putting the tachometer in the center - but that is my personal preference. I think it gives a more exotic feel.

I might move the turn signal indicators in, to either side of your speedo / center gauge. I would then probably move the high beam and check engine light to where you have your turn signal indicators now. Or possibly go to the bottom of either side of your speedo.

Like he said and again, Can't wait to see a finished product!!!!! :001_smile:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Only problem I see with the tach in the center is that with the overlapping gauges, it'll be hard to get a speedo that goes to 200 MPH and is easy to read. It looks like there's about 190-200 degrees of arc in the gauges on either side of center one...to get a speedo from 0-200 in that space would make the numbers very close together.

I'd leave it as is (layout)...maybe move the indicator lights like was mentioned earlier...but the general layout is rather nice. As long as the steering wheel doesn't interfere...

I'd swing the oil pressure the same direction as the water temp (left to right), and do the voltage from the bottom up. Just an aesthetic thing for me.

Might want to print that out full size and set it in place with the wheel on, just to see if everything is easily visible from the drivers point of view...

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Those look great, where would you get them made? I have been looking at these....

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/aurora/

But they only go to 120 mph.

Look under " Design Your Own Gauges" link, very cool.
I am not real sure where I will have these done yet. I've talked with Shannon Hudson at Redline Gauge Works. He has made a set up similar to these for Steve Strope at Pure Vision. Steve built a Mopar/Hemi called "Hammer" for SEMA. It had gauges like this.

But Steve already had the backing, surround, and Mar-Guard Lense made up. He says to do something like this from scratch would be in the neighborhood of $3000.00 to $3500.00. Not completely out of the question, but it is a LOT of money for asthetics.

I do feel that something like this would really fit the GTM well though. I'm also considering getting a Porsche Turbo Gauge Pod and letting him re-work that, if it will fit the space for the GTM pod. I'm having a new dash and console made as well, so unless the Porsche pod is too tall, it may not be an issue.

I've seen gauge clusters with the Tach in the center. That is done more for racing since most racers drive off of the tach. In this case though, I thought that I needed the space for the Speedo because it needs a full sweep. The Tach only need a 180 degree sweep. So for a layout like this, it just seemed to make sense to have it shown to the left of the speedo, using a half face.

As soon as I said this... I found this Porsche Gauge Cluster on E-Bay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts