Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we are ready to take orders for the custom aluminum fuel cells that we brought up in this thread:

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243799

Here they are:

The bottom of the tanks are connected with a 1.5" cross-over tube, so this should make for very quick filling of both tanks from one side of the car. Each tank has an AN -8 fitting welded in to act as a pick-up/return port. Each tank has a 1/4" NPT female fitting welded to the top to use for a vent-line port. This gives you the option of venting the tank as you see fit....you can run both tank vents together to a single roll-over valve or whatever you choose.

Total capacity is 21 gallons, and the tanks sit level in the chassis, so my guess is that you're going to gain at least 3 gallon over the 'Vette tanks, since the 'vette tanks do not sit level, and the cross-over tube is at the bottom of both tanks instead of up an inch-or-so from the bottom.

Tanks include cross-over tube, collars to connect the crossover tube to each tank, hose clamps for the cross-over tube, both tanks and the fuel sender. Once again, these do not include the fuel pump, as they are designed to use an aftermarket, external pump.

Price is $1175 + Shipping. If you'd like to order, I would prefer that you visit my website, go to "Contact" and send me an email to that address. This way, I'll have your email address on record in case I need to contact you. Lead time on these will be approx 1 month. Thanks!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Very nice! Could you explain how the sender assemblies are installed (pics are even better if you have some)?

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Shane, do these have bladders in them? Also, do they use the stock sending units? Looks like an interesting alternative to the stockers.

·
Premium Member
12,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No bladders, and no, they do not take the 'Vette internals. One tank will have a sender mounted.....waiting for more info and photos of that. Otherwise, it's set up for use of an external fuel pump via the AN-8 fittings welded to the tanks.

For those of you who know me well here, you know I like to keep things simple. :001_smile: This is about the most basic, simple set-up you're going to get. One sender to hook up. They fit the chassis of the car without having to push and shove and wedge them in place or heat and deform them to fit. There aren't 20 different fittings and ports that have to be spliced into, plugged off or re-routed to work right. No drilling holes thru the tank and trying to seal them back up or worrying that they'll leak sooner or later. The fill tubes will fit between the tank and body instead of getting squished and pinched shut on the passenger side. Much larger crossover tube for no-waiting fuel filling from one side of the car. No more wondering if the stock 'Vette fuel pump will keep up with your high HP engine.

·
1,481 Posts
Nice Shane,
I see that the tanks have a 45% cut on the back top of the tank so you can run fuel lines or wiring that go's up to the PCM. I like hiding wires.

Happy Building, Ron

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
IMHO 3 things:
1) I don't think that the crossover tube has to be that large. I can fill from one side with the dash 12 crossover in the kit.
2) I think that the rubber couplers for the crossover are problematic. I don't feel that they will be very easy to move. In my experience, once a rubber hose like that has been on there a while, you might have to cut it off if you ever have to disassemble for some reason. I would prefer something like a 12 or 16 AN fittings for a crossover hose. (How close is that crossover tube to the balancer pulley? Something already has to be welded to the tank for this, why not an AN fitting.
3) I put a tee in my crossover with a reducer and a small valve to make it easy to drain the tanks.

I know that you may think that you will never need to drain and/or disassemble this setup, but you never know. Also is a minor accident from the side, you have a solid tube running between the tanks which could easily rupture when the tanks get forced closer to together. This could cause of very large full leak right around the hot engine. This wouldn't happen with a hose between the two tanks.

·
Premium Member
12,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good points, Mike. If all of you guys would rather have -12 AN fittings welded to the tank in that location, we can do that on all of these tanks and you can use the cross-over hose provided in the kit. You will most likely need to buy new straight -12 AN hose fittings to replace the 90's in the kit.

That should address all of your points. If any customers wish to install a drain, they can do so by purchasing their own fittings and installing the drain into either the cross-over hose or at the -8 AN fittings at the rear of the tanks. I'm guessing that most guys will only be using that rear AN fitting on one tank, so the other tank could be fitted with a drain.

Is this solution acceptable to everyone? Thanks for your input!

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
Shane,

One more thought.. Could the filler have a rolled bead on it to help prevent the filler hose from slipping in case the hose clamp loosens a tiny bit? Also might help in an impact from preventing the hose from popping off. Probably not critical but a nice to have.

I would vote for an AN fitting for the crossover personally. I think it would be safer. Also, maybe you could do a AN16 and those who wanted to use the AN12 could use adapters at the tank? Based on Mikes input AN12 might be sufficient.

David

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
Just kind of thinking out loud here, but if there's already two -8 fittings at the bottom of the tanks, why would a drain plug be needed? Just undo one of the fittings, and BAM!, the fuel is draining. Right?

I do like the suggestion to use flexible cross tube though.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Instead of the AN fittings you could also just shorten the tube and use longer hoses. That ought to give some crush space in case of a side hit.

·
Premium Member
12,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Price and ordering info are in the first post below the photos.

I would say right now that we're most likely going with the -12 AN fittings for the crossover since FFR already provides the hose for this.

·
Junior Charter Member
362 Posts
Good and Bad News...

Good News, Shane is the Man for coming up with realistic solutions for GTM issues at a fair price. Bad news (for me) I now have to find another 1200 to put toward this thing.

·
Junior Charter Member
537 Posts
I like!

Is there enough clearance to spray some kind of a rubberized coating on there? maybe 3mm of something to protect the tanks from heat transfer and vibration....

Aman

·
1,481 Posts
I have the dimensions of the tank and talking with Shane all that required is foam tape and a bracket which is suppled with the tanks. Since the tank sits on top of the 1 1/2" square tubing ( all usable fuel) two pieces of 2X4 with a few dollops of silicon will bring the tanks to correct orientation.

For the cost of two hose fittings and a few feet of hose. I would like to go with the AN16.

Happy Building. Ron

·
Premium Member
12,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pics of one possible sender we're looking at and with it installed. We've got a couple possibilities for senders right now that we're testing, but this will be very close to the dimensions and placement no matter which way we go.

·
What's a 'n00b'?
387 Posts
Wow, that's really nice work. Great job.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts