Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on putting in a couple of cup holders in my trans tunnel cover.
I've seen many pics on the forum of where these could be placed. I've also seen someone do "invisible" cup holder by placing a steel bar to the top of the trans tunnel and magnet to the bottom of his tumbler.
i'm planning on using a tremec T5Z transmission.
i guess i have a couple of questions:
1) how much depth do I have to work with if I put the cup holders in the front of the shifter hole? the cup holders are about 2.5in deep and didn't know if I had clearance from the trans in the forward position. Obviously I would need to place them far enough in front of the shifter to prevent any interference from shifting.
2) if I place them behind the shifter back by the back wall, do I need to cut the diagonal support on the top of the trans tunnel. I marked the position of the 3/4" frame on the underside of the trans cover and can't really find a place to put 2 cup holders side by side without removing/repositioning the diagonal support. For those who have put cup holders here, did you need to modify the frame?

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I've got a T5 & put my cup holders in front of the shifter; you've got just over 2 1/2" depth with which to work. If you want to set your cell phone in the holder, you also need to consider the diameter.

From post #352 of my build log (on the other forum):

I purchased a pair (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00911UX6A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) of 3 1/2” ID cup holders. These were the only cup holders I could find (and I ordered three other pair) that were large enough for my phone case to fit in AND shallow enough to fit at the front of my transmission tunnel.

I started by holding a straight edge against the edge of the 3/4” frame at the top of the transmission tunnel, and marked its extension onto the vertical panels. Then I cut out a cardboard template that fit snugly against the forward cockpit wall. My transmission tunnel did NOT fit snugly against the wall, and was not parallel to the wall (one corner was 1/4” back; the other was 3/8” back). Using the marks on the vertical panels, I was able to figure out where the 3/4” frame was underneath my template. Then with some trial and error, I was able to find a location that missed the diagonal and side frame members. In my case, that location was 6” from the forward cockpit wall and 3” to either side of the center line of the transmission tunnel cover.

IMG_3990 by jhsitton, on Flickr

After cutting out the holes in the card board, I was able to confirm the location was correct, and moved to the cover. By offsetting the template the appropriate distance from each corner, I marked the centers and drew the cut lines with a compass. I cut the holes out slightly small with a jig saw and used a drum sander in my hand held drill to sneak up to the cut line. This also allowed me to get a nice snug fit.

IMG_3987 by jhsitton, on Flickr

I got the outside and top edges to within 1/32” of each other; you’ll never see it.

IMG_4752 by jhsitton, on Flickr

John

·
Snake Farmer
10,239 Posts
I've done mine almost identical to Johns set up. I haven't had any interference dropping in, or lifting out, a standard size cup of coffee/pop, or a soda can. My polished stainless cup holders, are from a marine supply store. My newest phone will not fit in them, as my older phone did. Thankfully I have pockets in my door trim panels for it.

I would certainly be hesitate to install them at the rear of the shifter console. It would be very awkward to reach anything in them, even while sitting at a stop light, let alone driving down the highway..You don't want to unbuckle your shoulder harness, every time you want to reach for something.
IMG_2962.JPG

·
Curious George
173 Posts
I've done mine almost identical to Johns set up. I haven't had any interference dropping in, or lifting out, a standard size cup of coffee/pop, or a soda can. My polished stainless cup holders, are from a marine supply store. My newest phone will not fit in them, as my older phone did. Thankfully I have pockets in my door trim panels for it.

I would certainly be hesitate to install them at the rear of the shifter console. It would be very awkward to reach anything in them, even while sitting at a stop light, let alone driving down the highway..You don't want to unbuckle your shoulder harness, every time you want to reach for something.
View attachment 356362 View attachment 356362 .
What inserts are used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
I followed Duncan's lead and put them on the back of the console, offset from each other. Allows a wider and deeper holder. Holders are from West Marine.

Attachments

·
Snake Farmer
10,239 Posts
What inserts are used?
Sorry, I cannot recall the manufacture or brand name, of the holder.. I just poked around the shelves at a marine shop, and spotted some that I liked, and appeared to be the size I needed.
I got lucky there, because as phileas_fogg mentioned, there is limited clearance to the top of the T5. This could vary slightly, depending on the thickness of the material used for the tranny cover. IE; padded vinyl, or carpet, or if any insulation was added. You might gain an extra half inch or more. I added insulation to the underside of my cover, so that didn't really help in increasing the clearance.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I also used a set from West Marine. They are 3 1/4 inch deep, wide at the top and have a narrowed area at the bottom to hold a pop can. By cutting the drain pipe nipple off the bottom I was able to make them fit forward of the shifter. The combination of insulation on top of the tunnel and convertible motor mounts made this possible as they just clear the top of the T5.

Norm
IMG_0049.JPG

·
Registered
612 Posts
I sourced my cup holders from Eddie Motorsports. They sell spun and machined billet. Mine are the billet ones. I laid mine out just like phileas_fogg. However I run a larger TKO and depth was an issue with most all of the marine spun holder. These are a bit shallower and it gave me just enough clearance. They fit in a 3 3/8" hole and are 2 13/16" deep. I had mounting holes machined to attach. Really liked the idea of another member with the magnetic base on the underside (super clean). However, I generally will grab a plastic water bottle or an aluminum flask for the drive so a traditional cup holder is just more convenient for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts