Factory Five Racing Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks Rusty. As you said, with the plate it's automatic. Every owner in CT, with replica newer than 20 years, without a classic plate is at risk for insane assessments.

My concern is who gets to interpret 1, 2 and 3, especially 2 & 3:

"To be subject to the $500 property tax assessment limit, the law requires a vehicle to (1) be at least 20 years old, (2) be of historical interest, and (3) conform to the manufacturer's original specifications."

And this will likely be the impasse with the fine gents in the assessor's office:

"But, an assessor can require the owner of an antique vehicle that does not have a special plate to provide reasonable documentation that it meets the statutory criteria for an antique vehicle."

I think the statute reads as follows for definition, and special interest motor vehicle doesn't mean composite (unfortunately). Maybe something SEMA action network could help get traction.

'(3) “Antique, rare or special interest motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle twenty years old or older which is being preserved because of historic interest and which is not altered or modified from the original manufacturer's specifications;'

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well, for the second year in a row, my appeal was DECLINED. So, over the past two years, I'll have paid roughly $2700 in vehicle property tax on a kit bought in 2002 and built with a $1000 donor.

I've connected with DMV, who has been quite responsive once I found the right people. They would revise my title to 1965 from 2004 (year it was registered), but stated that 'composite' vehicles are not eligible for classic plates. Am I waiting for response on if composite vehicles are ever eligible for classic plates (i.e. based on kit sales order date, frame manufacturing date, etc).

I'm out of options, but cannot continue to be subjected to these exorbitant taxes on a kit car. The next tax cycle starts Oct 1.

Watch out fellow Connecticut enthusiasts, you may be next!

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hey guys. I've been emailing with CT DMV, thought it worth sharing this information regarding their position on classic plates for kit cars. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, folks get their classic plates pulled based on their comments below.

DMV: A replica/Composite vehicle will not qualify for an antique plate due to the State Statute. This passage can be found within Statutes: 14-16a, 14-103a.
“Antique, rare or special interest motor vehicle’ means a motor vehicle twenty years old or older which is being preserved because of historic interest and which is not altered or modified from the original manufacturer's specifications;”
The above passage was sent to me from our Agency Legal Director

Me: So a composite vehicle is never eligible, even after it’s 20 years old? It's my understanding that numerous composite vehicles have received (and currently have) classic plates in CT, vehicles that were originally inspected and titled in CT. Why is the statute not applied equally across these vehicles?

DMV: These vehicles should not have antique plates. Unfortunately, some of these have been registered that way in error. We have been working with CVSD and our legal department to correct this.

Me: So just to clarify, even after a kit car / composite vehicle is 20 year old, it is still not eligible for classic plates?

DMV: Per legal, the statute states that a replica, kit, or composite does not qualify.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So what your saying is, when I finally build my dream car I can look forward to a $1000 plus tax bill every year on a car I drive on the weekends 6 months out of the year. That’s insane. Thanks for doing all that research.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yes, possibly more or less than $1000 annually, depending on how your town treats these vehicles, if you're unable to get classic plates. We really need some legislative action via Factory Five, ERA (Connecticut-based) and/or SEMA Action Network.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
J,
I think that changing the title to read"1965" would still be beneficial
keep us posted!
C

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hey Carl - that was my though as well, however all indications were showing that the ability to get classic plates and the tax cap benefit likely wasn’t going to happen, at least not before Oct 1, so I didn’t continue to pursue. Titled as a 1965, I wouldn’t be surprised if the assessors would be so egregious to assess it at original 1965 Cobra value.

Hope you guys fair out better than me. I’m even considering selling my daily driver, to mitigate the annual vehicle tax, not to mention the recurring registration and insurance costs.

Make your voice heard at the polls, appeal your taxes and find legit ways to lower your tax expenses. Get out of states like Connecticut if you can.

·
Registered
709 Posts
That is insane. I have seen people that specialize in property tax reduction. I have fought many tax battles here in SC with property (including cars). It is never ending, I feel for you. Can you register it in another state? My uncle in CT used to keep a couple of cars registered at our address in SC.....but that was many years ago.

If you get your fill of CT's greedy commy system and decide to move somewhere else, please dont bring any of that baggage with you :) . It amazes me how many people flee these states to my area, and then try to tell us how they did it back home.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts