Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,766 Posts
Hey Red, Sorry to here you're still fighting this. One other suggestion I could make if you haven't already done so is contact your local selectman or councilman for your district and see if he or she can shed any light on the subject. I suspect the increases you are experiencing originated with them.
Good luck
Dave

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks Dave. Yeah, it just sucks. The town has developed quite the scheme. Raise taxes with no justification, stifle the taxpayer‘s voice by only allowing access to one appeal board member, then decline the appeal. The only way for me to contest further is to spend more money on superior court fees.

I haven’t yet, but do plan to reach out to the Middletown Mayor and CT Senators, and some social media sites as well, once as the pandemic news is no longer of interest. Maybe I can get an investigation open through some type of consumer advocate or eye-witness news.

Hopefully I‘m raising awareness to others for when they go through the inspection and registration process. I know there are a lot of FFR owners in CT and others getting kits.

Folks need to weight the risk of paying an annual tax of $1000 per year for a 20-year term, before making the kit investment.

Or maybe this is just a few unethical assessors in Middletown.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,463 Posts
How about going to I-Team investigators on Channel 3 WFSB? They seem to take on these cases with good results. Publicity on the news might just be enough to get some results. Its worth a try and they will do the work for you!!!!

Mike

Reactions: Redfish

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,463 Posts
Nice!!! Stick it to em, keep us posted, I am looking forward to seeing your mug on TV when you finally get satisfaction!!!!! Good Luck!

Mike

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey guys. Minor updates:

I've been unsuccessful in getting the car re-registered as 1965. DMV registration says they go by the year assigned by the inspector, which was 2004. Last conversation over the phone with one of the inspectors is they look at the manufacture date of the frame, not the body style. This contradicts what their website says (and I think SEMA?). It's been suggested I visit the inspector in person, so maybe when they reopen.

I'm very curious when the next few folks go through CT inspection what their FFR is deemed, a 2020 or 1965.

On June 1, I also submitted a letter to the Middletown Mayor on the questionable actions of the tax office. Never heard anything back. Reviewing their budget for 2020, they are hailing the goodness of lowering the mill rate by 0.2%, "on the back of strong grand list growth". Of course it's strong growth, you're raising the assessments, no need to raise the mill rate! Not to mention, seems like the assessor and deputy assessor pull down some decent coin. Not bad for searching NADA and google all day long:

Damon Braasch - $119,142
Roger Palmer - $102,482

It's that time of year, so we'll see what this year's assessment bill looks like within a few weeks.

The Hartford Courant & I-Team are still in the cards, just waiting for the national drama to settle down.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Math would indicate that for 2019 they decided to assess my 2004 kit car at $47,500. First change in 15 years, in two different towns. No substantiation. Taxation without Justification!

Did you ever find out what the actual value is that they are using to determine the tax?

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hey Carl, will do!

So, for all you CT residents, this is the week you'll likely receive your annual vehicle tax. Mine arrived yesterday.

Damon and Deputy Roger now increased the assessment another $8000.

This is apparently their unethical retaliation for me appealing the 2019 assessment. So, despite my phone calls, emails, appeals and full documentation on the value of the kit car and previous precedent on assessments, they again raised it substantially. If this type of retaliation occurred in the private section, they would be fired.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If you guys have 12 minutes, let me know what you think. This was the attempt for a 'second' appeal for last year. I think I-Team / Hartford Courant would be interested:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts