Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cobra Builder
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a section from the proposed legislation, bill 1400, That is poised to be passed this session.

"Any motor vehicle, that has been reconstructed, or is composed or assembled from the several parts of other motor vehicles, or the identification and body contours of which are so altered that the vehicle no longer bears the characteristics of any specific make of motor vehicle, or declared a total loss by any insurance carrier and subsequently [rebuilt,] reconstructed shall be inspected by the commissioner to determine whether the vehicle is properly equipped, in good mechanical condition and in the possession of its lawful owner. Such vehicle shall be presented for inspection at any Department of Motor Vehicles office or any official emissions inspection station authorized by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles to conduct such inspection. The commissioner may require any person presenting any such reassembled, altered or [rebuilt] reconstructed vehicle for inspection to provide proof of lawful purchase of any major component parts not part of the vehicle when first sold by the manufacturer."

See all the "or"s at the top of the paragraph? I believe they make all the difference to us. I think we are to interpret that our cobras bear the characteristics of a specific make of motor vehicle. (ie. 1965 shelby cobra) Therefore a non- donor car would fall under no category in the above paragraph. (Not composed or assembled from the several parts of other motor vehicles)

What do you think? Am I onto something here?

Your thoughts, please!

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I believe this is the latest- see 12 at the bottom.
"Such regulations shall apply to all motor vehicles registered or which will be registered in this state except: (1) Vehicles having a gross weight of more than ten thousand pounds; (2) vehicles powered by electricity; (3) bicycles with motors attached; (4) motorcycles; (5) vehicles operating with a temporary registration; (6) vehicles manufactured twenty-five or more years ago; (7) new vehicles at the time of initial registration; (8) vehicles registered but not designed primarily for highway use; (9) farm vehicles, as defined in subsection (q) of section 14-49; (10) diesel-powered type II school buses; [or] (11) a vehicle operated by a licensed dealer or repairer either to or from a location of the purchase or sale of such vehicle or for the purpose of obtaining an official emissions or safety inspection; or (12) vehicles that have met the inspection requirements of section 14-103a and are registered by the commissioner as composite vehicles. "

·
1,752 Posts
I believe we're covered in the last part of the paragraph, for a non donor vehical.

The commissioner may require any person presenting any such reassembled, altered or [rebuilt] reconstructed vehicle for inspection to provide proof of lawful purchase of any major component parts not part of the vehicle when first sold by the manufacturer."

I think the state of Ct has 2 concerns here,

1. That the vehicle is safe
2. That no stolen parts were used in it's contruction

As long as you can provide proof of lawful purchase of the major components you're all set.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,879 Posts
Originally posted by Rich215:

As long as you can provide proof of lawful purchase of the major components you're all set.
The third area of concern is making certain it gets taxed.

·
FFR Driver
2,154 Posts
Originally posted by watermoccasin:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rich215:

The third area of concern is making certain it gets taxed. </font>[/QUOTE]Thats not a problem in CT.They tax each car you own EVERY year. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts