Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Premium Member
Count me in. Exciting news coming my way. Next week I'm flying out to MI for the class. The very same weekend my kit will be ready for pickup, so I will be driving up for pickup the day after Thanksgiving. Any last minute tips? Anything people recommend I bring with me to the class?

I'm also thinking I should be able to fit my complete kit in the back of a Uhaul 6x12 utility trailer and a Uhaul pickup truck. Thoughts?

Premium Member
I picked mine up in a rented 24' Penske box truck just to have plenty of room.

Premium Member
Truck and trailer it is!
Random, but there鈥檚 a guy here in West Hartford with a yellow and white striped cobra with a classic plate. He keeps driving by my place and I want to be able to stop him and say hi. Anybody know who this guy is?

Premium Member
Were you not able to get the classic plate?

2007 Calendar Cover Car
Nope. Check out my autosig link on plates and taxes. Something for you to be mindful of as a CT resident.

Premium Member
Nope. Check out my autosig link on plates and taxes. Something for you to be mindful of as a CT resident.

Yeah I saw this before. I sincerely hope I will not be subjected to that idiot's wrath. I might be in luck with the laws having already been changed that it may not be an issue from the get go? I'm not expert on this, but it sounds like he was just too lazy to schedule an appointment to reassess your VIN.

I would suggest trying again, though. I just went in the other day to register a new GTI I got and it took me 40 minutes. it would have been quicker if the lady wasn't learning the process from scratch, but she was nice enough. Maybe you'll get lucky and get somebody else?

2007 Calendar Cover Car
The issue isn't the year. DMV was willing to revise my year to 1965. The issue is DMV states that composite cars are not (and never) eligible for classic plates. The classic plate is what caps the assessment at $500. Without the plate, you run the risk that the assessor will value the vehicle at whatever they wish, with the excuse it's not in NADA. Some folks have been successful getting and retaining classic plates, others not. Assessments vary by town, obviously my town thinks these are very valuable, increasing in value, and therefore has their hand in my pocket. I hope you have a different, more positive experience!

Premium Member
Hmm, well I hope the guy with he yellow Cobra I've seen registered his in West Hartford. Maybe I'll get lucky?

2007 Calendar Cover Car
The classic plate issue is a state-wide issue, but seems it depends on who you get at the DMV window, and if somehow DMV catches up with you. My classic plates got pulled within a few months of being issued, with a letter stating that composite cars aren鈥檛 eligible, and the recent email conversation I posted from DMV states the same thing. Others have gotten titled as 鈥65 Cobra replica鈥, which may avoid the composite nomenclature with DMV.

Assessments are town specific, so maybe if you don鈥檛 have a douche for an assessor, they will be reasonable in either scenario. Middletown is a mess, and has a high mill rate to boot.

Premium Member
Oof yeah, seems like a complete gamble then. Fun. Regardless, this is a problem for future me, I鈥檓 just focused more on the fun part, building the car. 馃槅

21 - 31 of 31 Posts