Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cobra Fanatic
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Company here in town doing cryogenic freezing to increase the hardness and durability of metal parts. They do individual parts up to complete engines. I guess factory teams have been doing this for years. It has many applications, besides engine parts. I am considering doing some barrels on my varmint guns and engine parts on a motor I will be building. Any experience with the process?
The company has a link that you can look at if you’re interested.
http://www.lundstedtautomotive.com/
Aron

·
Registered
905 Posts
Process changes the metal grain structure (magnetite to actinic). Causes the metal to retain shape, reject heat quicker, wear longer etc. Nascar has been using it in brake rotors etc. Snowmobile engines were machines out of round to compensate for expansion during heat up. With cryo process it does not require the compensation.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
That is just freakin scifi. Too cool (pun intended)

Jon D.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I had my brake rotors frozen to prevent cracks from developing after hard track use. It really works. My rotors wear like cast iron.

·
177 Posts
Seen it used on race blowers (Paxton NOVI 2000 Renegade) i woned, and it really helped the blower stay cooler.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
I just spent a little time looking over the options... found this company also on the other end of the price spectrum. Lots less expensive.

http://www.cryopro.com/

Don't know much about this process though other than racers have been using it for years.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
I have used in on internal engine parts in my race kart motors. Crank,rod,piston, and block are all cryroed. I feel it aids more in less wear then it does for adding stregnth, espeacally in the cylinder. Depending on who you use just having 1 or 2 parts done can be pricey. Normally a few of us send in a lot of parts to be done at once to help with cost. Since it takes the same amount of time and cooling holding, warming stages finding a company that has a chamber large enough to do a big batch of parts helps. i would'nt use it on a street engine due to cost. If you are considering doing the pistons also consider some of the piston wear coatings avalible instead.

·
Cobra Fanatic
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The prices were the same on average that is beside the point, I like the idea that my parts will last longer which more than pays for the process especially if you include labor for R&R and rebuild time. I like driving and playing with my toys, not working on them. I am going to try a barrel on my varmint gun first. It is already super accurate; I like the idea that it will distort less with the build up of heat.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've read some write-ups on cryogenically treated rifle barrels,

They all seem to yield positive results, but I never know whether it is simply the process of hyping one's advertising clients. One thing to keep in mind, though. Like engines & horsepower, efforts to improve firearms accuracy can reach that point of diminishing returns. I had a Remington 700 Police that shot like a laser. It took me a little while to realize that it didn't need any more improvement - it ALREADY shot better than my eyes could see! So the cryo treatment might make your varmint gun a hair better, but it still won't shoot itself. Kinda like Hind Sight pointed out, you need to decide whether the cost justifies the return for your particular application.

Best,
Matt

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
I'm thinking a rifle barrel would be a ideal situation for cryro treating. Not only would bore last longer but change in barrel from repeated shooting would be less thus more accurate before heat starts to effect where it will shoot. I know it's been around for some time but probally use more now since cost is less then what it was 10 years ago. Also some supplyers will offer parts already done so no need for cusomer to send them out. Like noted I see more benefits due to less wear then from additional hardening after the process. Price wise on the link you have is about normal rate if you were to shop around.

·
Cobra Fanatic
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Bushmaster Varmiter, which is a .223 Semi-auto with a competition bull barrel and 2 stage target trigger. It is incredibly accurate now. I may shoot 500+ rounds a day on a good day. I am looking more for less change in point of impact with heating of the barrel. After re-reading this I realize that it is getting to be OT in nature. Lets leave the discussion to auto part from here out. Or PM me if you want to discuss the barrels. Aron

·
Charter Member
1,326 Posts
Matt don't you mean it "might make his varmint gun a "hare" better"???

lol

Scott

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
kinda overkill for a street engine or mild hot rod...IMHO, i mean how many tear downs were you expecting to do?...but you may have other plans...

·
Feng Shui Master
1,224 Posts
I used a company called 300 below or something similar for a couple of fixture parts. I have heard various good things about the process, as well as metal-lax. It is also a process for stress relieving parts via controlled vibration induction. (not heat induction from an oven, but at the molecular level)
As far as cost to benefit ratio, it is beer money.
This is your hobby, your form of stress relief. I am all for buying what you want, as most of the time this is a once in a lifetime event. I would hate to meet you down the road, and share a "beer drinking moment" with you or any one else, and hear that that person regreted not doing that one "special thing" to his or her dream car.
Go for it and tell us all about it when your are done.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,310 Posts
Wasn't Walt Disney cryogeniclly frozen? Does this mean when they unfreeze him he'll have super human strengh?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Scott -

Go to your room!!!

Dog,

Sure does. It's the natural progression of obsession for a talented artist/animator - he starts out DRAWING super-heroes (Steamboat Willie?), & in the end he wants to BE one...

Best,
Matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts