Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm not sure about how many words, photos or videos are allowed by the forum on an individual thread I'll break this up to what I hope are reasonable segments so I don't overwhelm they forum.

First of all I want to thank the Mile Hi Cobra Club and Al and Deanna Bockman particularly for their outstanding efforts in putting this cruise together. This was my fourth cruise and every one of them has been just spectacular. The routes, the scenery and most of all the Mile Hi members and their hospitality to us outsiders can’t be praised highly enough.

Day 1
I didn’t mount my cameras for the start of day 1 since I was planning on setting them up once we got away from the Denver metropolitan area. We started out with 22 cars including 3 from Texas, 1 from Michigan, 2 from Oregon and one couple from New Jersey who didn’t want to trailer their car for 3 days just to get to the starting point so flew in and rented a car to come along. By the second day they were vowing that next year they were bringing their Cobra.
One of the couples from Ohio brought along their 5 year old son who had his own child’s seat mounted between the seats of their roadster with it’s own 5 point harness. Once he was belted in with his hat, glasses, ear plugs and sun screen he was ready to go and made the entire trip without a problem.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day 1 Continued

The initial leg of the route took us up a twisty road heading southeast with some fairly tight hooks.
As it was we lost two of the cars within about 20 minutes of the start of the run. I was a couple of cars behind James when he pulled over to the shoulder. Everyone stopped to see what was wrong and that’s when we heard that one of the cars behind us had taken a shunt off one of the hairpins and was in the bank. Sometime later we learned that he had taken out the front suspension and would have to be trailered back to Denver. For James situation after a lot of head scratching we determined that he had sheared the roll pin on his distributor gear. A 15 cent part that takes about 20 minutes to fix IF YOU HAVE THE TOOLS AND THE PART. We didn’t have either.
Given that James was pretty much dead in the water the rest of the cruise continued on while one of the members went on ahead until he could get cell phone reception and arrange for two tilt bed tow trucks for our fallen brethren. Carolyn and I volunteered to stay with James until help arrived and had a nice hour plus break trading comments with the numerous bicyclers that were also using the same route.
Once Chris and Teresa (the good Samaritans) got back and let us know the trucks were on the way and expected shortly. James assured us that he’d be o.k. until the trucks got there and we decided to push on. I’ll let James give you the saga of his repair experience himself but suffice it to say his Karma account was overflowing that day.
Since the rest of the group was a good couple of hours ahead of us by then we decided to truncate the route and go straight into Gunnison which was the terminus of the first day’s route.
Even taking the “straight line” into Gunnison took us over Monarch Pass before dropping into the valley where Gunnison is located. Monarch Pass is 11,312 feet (Mount Hood summit is 11,239) and we got our first view of snow right down to the side of the road. Something we’d see more of later in the run. Given the weather was late in warming up this year the snow melt was delayed and made for some really impressive views of snow capped mountains as the tour progressed.
We arrive in Gunnison the same time as everyone else and everyone got settled in. Just after dinner James came rolling in after a mad dash to catch up. We were really glad to see that the cruise gods were smiling on him and he was able to make the rest of the trip. It would really have been sad if he’d traveled 2400 miles round trip just to have to go home after 20 minutes of the cruise.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day 2

Day2
Today we’d be traveling into Utah and Moab. Day 2 dawned about 50 degrees and drizzling rain. Very unusual for that part of Colorado at that time of year. I debated putting the top on but decided to “rough it” and off we went. Should have put the top on. A number of folks decided to truncate the first leg into the town of Delta to try to drive out from underneath the weather. The weather was still with us at Delta so I used the fuel stop to put the top on. Much more comfortable for Carolyn and me on the run into Naturita and the weather finally broke about 50 miles out.
By the time we go to Naturita we were clear of the weather and had already started to pick up what was to be the typical scenery for that part of Utah. Really huge rock spires just about anywhere you looked.
On the road to Naturita.

Typical of the rock spires.

Naturita was an unexpected oasis in the middle of nowhere. You come around a curve in the road and there is this big resort. No bill boards or signs, it’s just there.
A full service resort with impressive landscaped grounds, it’s own restaurant and gas station and even it’s own automobile museum. All of it surrounded by more of the rock monoliths.
Naturita

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day 2 Continued

Once we left Naturita it was clear sailing into Moab through what are typical Cruise Colorado roads and scenery, absolutely fabulous.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day 2 Continued

Coming into Moab we were treated to some local color and rock art.

If you look closely at the photo above you can see the lizard on the rock right next to the “Hole in the Wall” logo. Here’s a closer look at it which gives you an idea of the scale.

The hotel in Moab was kind enough to supply us with water and hoses so we could clean our cars up after a kind of messy start to the second day. The weather for the rest of the cruise was just about perfect.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day 3

Day 3
Day 3 was set up for sight seeing around the Moab area. Within spitting distance are Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. If you’re ever in that part of the country don’t miss them.
We managed to herd all of the cats together for a group photo before we started out for Arches Nation Park.
Da Moab Mob

Arches National Park.
I’d like to add a caveat here about the photos and videos for the entire trip. The scale of the scenery on these cruises is simply enormous. What you see in the photos and video only represents about 10% of the view presented. The panorama shots that have been stitched together, if printed out full size, would be 4 to 5 feet wide and 1.5 to 2 feet high and, as mentioned above, only show about 10% of what was there. Most of the panoramas consist of up to 9 individual photos.
The folks who put the park together should really be congratulated on putting all of those big rocks there. It must have been a really hard job getting them placed just right especially the ones that are balanced on top of the others.
The first run through the park was just to take photos from outside the car.

I think this is where they got the idea for the carvings on Easter Island.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Day 3 Continued

And always the mountains on the horizon no matter which direction you look.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Day 3 Continued

A couple of panoramas

After visiting Arches National Park in the morning we went down the road a few miles to Canyonlands National Park. On entering the park you make a deceptively shallow climb for about 10 miles until you get to what looks like the end of the earth. The mesa you’ve climbed up onto just ends and the canyons drop off. In a number of places the bottom of the canyons has got to be upwards of 1000 feet below where you’re standing.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day 4

Day 4
Day 4 was left open so folks could poke around the local area on their own, do some shopping, see the local museums or just kick back at the pool and socialize.
We took the opportunity to go back to Arches with the cameras mounted and get some images and videos of what it looks like from the perspective of the road.
Here are a couple of segments from the video starting at the far end of the park and traveling towards the entrance.

Photos shooting through the windshield, again, don’t do the view justice but it gives some idea of the scale of the place.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Day 4 Continued

And finally the road coming off of the mesa and leading to the park entrance.

After our trip back to Arches we spent the rest of the day shopping and eating and seeing the local sights in Moab. The club put on a pizza feed at poolside at the hotel and everyone just sat around and socialized until the bugs drove us into the lobby where things went on for another hour or so.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Day 5

Day 5
Day 5 again brought us sunny and clear weather. The route would take us along a river valley, up over a mesa (10,000 feet) and down into Glenwood Springs.
The route along the river was again through canyons created by the rocks until we were ready to start climbing for altitude.

Even though we were in a valley the monolithic rocks were still our constant companions.

And of course whenever there was a break there were the mountains. This is a view of the mesa that was our mid point destination.

The first part of the run through the canyon along the river.

We stopped at the mid point to the mesa to regroup. As always parked by the side of the road we got a lot of looks, honks and thumbs up.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Day 5 Continued

My long suffering Cotographer. Although Carolyn is really camera shy I managed to get one of her. It can’t have been all bad. At this point we were four and a half days into the trip and she was still smiling. I can’t give her enough credit for all her photos of the trip. She’s responsible for most of the stills you see that aren’t from the roll bar mounted camera. She’s learned to shoot around, over, and beside the windshield and has developed a really good eye for shots out the side. So much is missed by a fixed forward mount and she picks up the slack.

Once out of the valley we started climbing for the mesa. The climb took us back into the trees and up into the snow.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Day 5 Continued

Once on top of the mesa we pulled over to stretch our legs and take advantage of the bright sun and 75 degree temps with snow coming down to the edge of the road. There was a small lake formed by the melt off but no one felt like taking a dip in 33 degree water.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Day 5 Continued

Here’s the second half of the video climbing up to the mesa and into the lodge where we were able to take advantage of the facilities and take in the surroundings. Very peaceful setting.

The lodge lake

Once we’d had a chance to get out of the cars and stretch it was off the mesa and down into the valley to Glenwood Springs. We dropped about 4000 feet with most of the valley visible on the way down. What a difference that altitude made. We went from 75 to pushing 90 in about an hour.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Day 6

Day 6
The last day of the cruise. Our route took us from Glenwood Springs through Aspen over Independence Pass (12,095 ft.) and back down into Denver.
Once we cleared Aspen (very cute little town but a lot of traffic) it was back to climbing to altitude. Again, tremendously scenic but I think Carolyn missed a bit of it. It seemed every time there was an unprotected drop off of a few hundred or a thousand feet or so on her side she took a very keen interest in what was on my side of the car, as in something solid rather than thin air.

And always the mountains looking over your shoulder everywhere you went.

The higher we climbed the more snow we saw along the road. In several cases the run off was coming across the road so it meant a little care bombing into the curves because you could run into running water across the pavement anywhere.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Day 6 Continued

Once we topped the pass we stopped to enjoy the scenery and stretch.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Day 6 Continued

Looking back the way we had come.

Our co-tour director Deanna (standing) and one of the social directors Sherry taking in the cool and sunny weather at just over 12,000 feet.

Here are some videos of the run up to Independence Pass. Sorry I couldn’t condense them into fewer parts but I just couldn’t decide which to leave on the cutting room floor.
A side note about the folks riding their bicycles that you see in the footage. My hat is off to them. They’re peddling at altitudes from 5 to 12 thousand feet. Them’s some really hearty souls on them bikes!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Day 6 Continued

Once we’d rested up from the climb, and I snowed a throw ball in memory of my late aunt, it was down from the pass and back into Denver. By this time Carolyn was toughening up and only missed a few spots early on on the way down.

As we continued down the terrain got a little more shallow and the valley started to develop from the pure mountain terrain.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts