Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Charter Member
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know no one likes to think about this topic and I don’t mean to appeal to the morbid, but a "wreaked Cobra gallery" is something I think we should seriously consider for the following reasons:

1) The accidents shown on this forum have been a real testament to what we have heard over and over regarding the structure of the car and it's safety features. Again, it's not something that one wants to think about that much, but how well the car will fair in various accident situations is a consideration that should be evaluated before selecting a kit car to build - and before making modifications to the main structure of that car. We own a brand of car that has numerous bragging rights - how well it performs through an accident is no less important than it's 0 - 60 time.

2) It will serve as a reminder that these are very fast, short wheelbase cars that demand the respect and skill of the driver. Look at all the "too much hp is not enough", no roll bar, significantly reduced frame structural quality due to mods, and need to improve driver skill discussion threads there been in the last two months (two years). As more people join this hobby and for those who have become complacent, a reminder or perspective of the larger picture also serves a purpose.

3) It will serve as a reminder that while you are building your car you are also establishing the overall safety of an automobile in which your life will depend. The quality of our builds and the integrity of the parts we install are critical to this topic. Sometimes the desire to get the build done faster or to save a dollar here and there gets the best of folks. Accident avoidance and performance in an accident are the reason we take extra care in the build process and the reason we replace questionable donor parts - it all goes hand-in-hand with better overall performance.

3) If this unfortunate event just happened to you, think about how you would be feeling; confused, concerned, and looking for answers. What is my insurance company going to do, how do I go about getting the repairs done, how much might this cost - where can I turn for quick answers. For everything else concerning the roadster, this forum answers the questions needed and provides the guidance that you need. Why not cover this aspect as well? I know picking which rims and color are difficult decisions, but dealing with a smashed roadster has got to be more important to FFR owners.

So, what should the gallery contain? I suggest the following:

Accident specifics
Are you okay?, how it happened, road conditions, principal causes of the accident, photos.

Insurance specifics
Which company, type of policy, how they ultimately handled the situation, what did you learn from the process, would recommend the company to others

Repair specifics
How did you get estimates, who did the work, how was it completed, how is the post-repair vehicle performing

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Perhaps titled something more sensitive like Wreck repair gallery or something like that.

Who can come up with the best title that is sensitive enough not to offend those that have been in an unfortunate accident??

·
Registered
876 Posts
How about "Factory Five Reconstruction Phase Photo Gallery".

Ron

Oh, BTW. I don't think it is needed. Just coming up with a sensitive name.

[ March 26, 2007, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Ron Schofield ]

·
Junior Charter Member
16 Posts
I didn't realize "sensitive" men owned Cobras. I thought these were manly mens cars....argh..argh.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
I assume that after wrecking your dream car that you become a little more humble and would be offended by soemthing like, f'd up roadster gallery. Besides, it shouldnt be just for pictures, but for how-to.

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
I will cast a dissenting vote. I don't think we need a place to look at people's misfortunes. If they posted it, let it go. We don't need a "gallery" of wrecked Cobras to look at.

2FAST

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
I for one vote no. Some members are already having a hard enough time finding companies that will insure them. I don't see a lot of upside in giving insurance companies a place where they can view lots of Cobra wrecks.

I also know for a fact that when I got my car inspected the state inspectors were on this site looking up some information about the car. I would hate to have them stumble upon a forum devoted to wrecks. That might bias them toward being a lot more picky.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Negative...

R :D

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
cobrawrecks.com is available
if someone wanted to start a web site and forum that dealt with nothing but wrecked Cobras and their rebuilding/restoration.

Bill S.

·
Charter Member
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, at least there is a good response!

What about something more dedicated to "repairs" rather then "wrecks"?

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
Nope!

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
On the one hand I understand all the "no" responses. And I am probably also on the "no" side of the fence.

On the other hand, as those that have recently had accidents have said, we all think we are not likely to have such misfortune. But if we do have something unfortunate happen to our cars at some point in the future, it would be nice to have access to the names of those that have had a similar experience so we can message them for advice.

After all, in the future they may not be on the forum everyday, but they would probably get an e-mail when someone sends them an instant message, allowing us to contact them.

Just thinking out loud.

Steve

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,427 Posts
Yes, it's not a popular subject, but a very real threat. I have had one, and re-habbed successfully. I think the info posted would be VERY usefull to a member who unfortunately finds themself if this situation, and a source of info for FFR themselves.

I vote to have something to have, with a discrete title, but there. I am sure it would have helped me after my wreck.

Dan

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
NO...NO...NO

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
No thanks. Big potential down side with insurance, regulations, etc.

·
4,342 Posts
No way, just plain bad karma

·
6,332 Posts
Bad idea. You don't need a morgue that insurance companies can look at when looking for reasons to not write replica/kit car insurance. I had an insurance company tell me they wouldn't insure Factory Fives because they were in too many wrecks, and that was three years ago!
Frank

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.