Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Advisor
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My crankshaft pulley is 1/8" inch behind the water pump pulley on my 351w. (Measured by taking a 90 degree ruler, running it flat on the crank pulley, and then measure

However, I cannot seem to find a shim/spacer for 0.125 inches. The smallest I found was a CVF at 0.625", except for the water pump spacers which are 1/8". But, that doesn't do me any good to push that forward.

I saw a Mustang thread where someone suggested using washers because they couldn't find any either. But that seems... wrong.

·
Premium Member
17,953 Posts
Get some 1/8" plate aluminum and make one. Cut the center hole with a hole saw so it fits accurately. But the outer edge doesn't need to be that precise.

Reactions: David_T

·
Advisor
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering about that. I won't be able to cut a perfect circle on the outer edge, I don't have a hole saw that big. There shouldn't be balance issues as long as it's close as I can get?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,632 Posts
Are you sure you are not measuring against different thicknesses of edge flanges on the pulleys? Can you post a pic?

·
Not a waxer
11,917 Posts
Craig just expressed my thought. The actual belt surface is sometimes farther in or out in relation to the front face of the pulley from one to the other. Be sure that you’re measuring from the true travel area.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
17,953 Posts
I was wondering about that. I won't be able to cut a perfect circle on the outer edge, I don't have a hole saw that big. There shouldn't be balance issues as long as it's close as I can get?
Correct. Just scribe a circle with a compass, and follow it as close as possible. It won't effect the balance at all.

·
Advisor
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for checking!
I took two pictures, first with the 90° ruler, flat on the face on the crank pulley. The second is when I get the camera perspective flat with the face of the pulley.
There are definitely no spacers on the water pump pulley.
The pulleys are March Performance.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Which pulley set are you working with? Here is the a March pulley set on my friends MK4. As mentioned, you may have the wrong water pump.

·
Advisor
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That's frustrating. I paid someone to rebuild the engine, since this isn't my area of expertise.
What makes a water pump 'correct'?

My engine is the 351w. I was working with Summit on the phone for about 30 minutes going over the parts to get the proper pulleys and parts on the engine.

Here are the pulleys
Crank: March Performance 2033 March Performance Crankshaft Pulleys | Summit Racing - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
Water pump: March Performance 2004 March Performance Aluminum Serpentine Water Pump Pulleys | Summit Racing - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

I took a picture of the back of the water pump. I picked up a radiator that has a lower passenger and upper driver outlet/inlet. I'd rather not replace the radiator as it's just more shipping costs. But, whatever I need to do, I'll do it.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,632 Posts
How is the crank pulley to alternator alignment? As you research this the following 'may' be helpful. This is a diagram showing how to determine which direction the pump should rotate in.
Water_Pump_Rotation by craig stuard, on Flickr
These help ID front covers
Timing%20cover by craig stuard, on Flickr
rHElFnp by craig stuard, on Flickr
Sorry to say I thought I had noted the pump I used on my 351 based 408 but can't find it.

·
Advisor
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The alternator was pretty far back from the edge of the crank. I took this lined up with the outer ridge of the alternator pulley.

·
Advisor
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CraigS: I found my timing cover, it is this one:

So I will need a standard rotation, and mechanical fuel pump (installed). It has a crank sensor apparently, but I won't be using that.

Then I looked up my casting numbers on my block, they are "E9AE" which I understand is 1989 from a quick search.

Now I'm hitting a snag. I look around, and I can't find a standard rotation water pump with a driver's side inlet that specifies this year. They only go up to 1987, and after that they go to reverse rotation, or they have a passenger side inlet for that rotation, and the crank sensor is in the way for passenger side inlet on the block. This is an annoying hiccup. Any thoughts from you experienced guys?

·
Registered
994 Posts
The year of the block doesn’t matter. Get the pump that matches the rotation direction and inlet that you want. The block didn’t change between 87 and 88 but ford changed to serpentine belts and that required a change to the timing cover and water pump.

HTH

Norm

·
Advisor
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, thank you all so very much for this. Please bear with me again.

There shouldn't be any issues with me using this pump (351w, Driver inlet, clockwise rotation), and the March pulley you see in the photo (6 groove), with the belt going over crank, alternator, and water pump. FORD FlowKooler 1650 FlowKooler Hi-Flow Mechanical Water Pumps | Summit Racing - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Then I just need to swap out my radiator for a lower driver side outlet (any recommendations? Donor's was broken, and I wanted to do a remote filler, so something with no filler neck would be nice.
I saw this from Howe's which seems to check all of the boxes. 27X19, neckless, driver side outlet. Unless there is a vendor, I don't see one on Forte's or Breeze, and FF doesn't have theirs either.
Howe Racing 342A28FNF Howe Aluminum Radiators | Summit Racing - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,632 Posts
I don't understand why you would use those two parts. 1- The pump says it is for a V-belt drive. Back when Ford switched to the serp belts they used a slightly different bolt pattern for the water pump pulley so mechanics couldn't install the wrong part. There are now aftermarket pulleys that have both patterns so different combinations can be made to work. But I would be concerned there may be other differences. 2- That radiator has the driver side hose at the top which isn't going to work real well w/ that pump. It also has the other hose at the bottom which won't work well w/ the usual T-filler in the top hose. BTW I just realized that my 351 and 408 both used the pulley groove nearest the front cover rather than your using the forward groove. My 351 was set up like the one in post #9 where I used both grooves. When I did the 408 I moved the PS pump rearwards so I could then use one long belt.
This is the radiator I used.
Summit Racing SUM-380477 Summit Racing® Performance Fit Aluminum Radiators | Summit Racing - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

·
Registered
994 Posts
Craig, he is using a grooved water pump pulley and thus requires a standard rotation pump. The March pulley would be set up for this. The pump should be fine. The picture of the radiator on the Summit website is “representational” and the description has the inlet and outlet in the opposite locations. Can’t comment on the suitability of the radiator beyond that though.

Norm

·
Advisor
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Craig, thank you! My pulley is a conversion pulley so it does have both bolt patterns.
My understanding on the mechanical water pump is to get it to spin the right way.
Yeah, I noticed you had your belts on the 1st row from the engine. My water pump was so far forward, that would have taken a lot of spacing. Once I get the new one, I'll check it out and see how it lines up. Hopefully much better!

Norm, I emailed them to see if I can get a photo. It looks like this would be an ideal for the kit if it has the flanges on top for installation. I'd like to avoid dealing with two radiator caps, if I can. As you point out, it's just the question of the quality of the radiator.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,632 Posts
Norm thanks for straightening me out. David, best wishes on this. I hope the new pump works.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Craig, good catch on the inner versus the outer set of grooves. I didn't notice and just went and looked at my V belt set up and it uses the inner groove for the water pump and alternator drive.
I really wish Summit Racing would use actual pictures of the part on their website. It would make things a lot easier.
David, I have a similar pump on my 331. Mine is an Edelbrock and aside from costing a lot more it looks exactly the same. Most likely you will find the bolt pattern and/or bolt lengths required for mounting it to the timing cover are different than you current pump. The top bolt (circled in red in the picture) is not used. Like Craig, I hope this pump works for you.

Norm

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts