Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been tracking an oil leak for what seems like a year now. It looked like the front seal was bad even though it only had about 3K miles on it. I replaced the seal but I still have an oil leak. I am running an aftermarket timing cover and was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with a leaking front seal. I'm going to put on a FMS timing cover and see if it fixes the problem. I have an open track event on Dec 9 and I won't pass tech with a leak of this nature.

Any help is appreciated.

ben

·
Cobra Fanatic
134 Posts
I thought my front seal was leaking as well but it turned out to be the key for the crank and harmonic balancer. I pulled the balancer and smeared some ultra grey in the key way and the leak disappeared. Check to see if oil is gathering in the crank pulley. If so, my money is on the problem described above. HTH.

Horse

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Like Horse said you need to coat the end of the crank with silicone before installing the balancer. Also check balancer to see if it has a groove worn into it from the seal riding onit. This can be fixed by buyying the sleeve that presses over the balancer giving it a fresh surface for the seal. Depending the seal can be pressed in more or less so not to ride in this groove. Silicone around the outside of seal before install also is needed when replaceing.
Rare cases have seen casting cracks or pin holes in some covers that will allow oil to seep when running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts