Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking on both Summit's site and Jegs, the Crane Ignition comes in the Hi-6, the Hi-6R, and the Hi-6S... The Hi-6s is the least $$ and includes the coil for $160... The Hi-6 plus coil is over $300 - which is the one to go with? Do you need any type of "tach adapter" to work with the Autometer 427 series gauges from FFR? This is for a carbed 351 setup...
thanks for info..
ed

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
Ed,

I have the P/N 6000-6400 from Crane. Here's the link, you can also check out the other differences.

Crane HI-6 Ignitions

Shouldn't require a tach adapter. I have Autometer Phantoms and just hook up off the tach driver from the ignition box and it works like a champ. I also have the Crane coil and dist and love all of them.

ben

·
8,155 Posts
Not to say that they are bad but my Crane Hi6 box quit 3 weeks ago. I had been having intermitent missfiring for about 18 months and went through everything on the motor trying to find the problem. Thankfully the sucker finally kicked the bucket and that it made it easy to find the problem. The box has been off the car since then and it runs like a champ. I will probably replace the box but I'm not sure I will put another Crane box on.

·
6,546 Posts
Over time you will read about a lot more problems with MSD boxes than Crane boxes. It could be attributable to # of boxes in market though. I've never had a problem with a Crane ignition and have a HI-6 TRC (Supercharged Motors). Same as Ben's, but with a timing adjustment on it for boost. I've been super happy with it.

You won't need a tach adapter.

BTW the Crane HI-6 boxes fit perfectly on top of the pedal box in the driver's foot box. ;)

·
The Traveler
3,093 Posts
I have been running the HI-6TRC as it has the boost retard for my supercharger. It also has a dial for setting the timing retard under boost. If you have no plans for a supercharger then the one Ben suggests might be the one to go with.

You can get two different coils for the Crane ignition system. One is an replacement for the Ford coil, the second is a replacement for the Ford Coil BUT designed only to work with the Crane Ignition systems. SO if the system fails and you want to by pass the blown module you are out of luck as the coil will not work with stock ignition. Just something to keep in mind. Their Crane only coil is suppose to provide a better spark etc.

·
3,886 Posts
The HI-6S stores energy "inductively" in the coil, while the HI-6R is a capacitive-discharge unit and stores power in the capacitor, so it can potentially deliver a lot more enrgy. Now, probably either is more than adequate for all but the most extreme engines, so it's up to you.

I have an HI-6TRC also, for a supercharged motor, and it's been flawless for over 2 years. Like Ozona, I went with a Crane because of hearing about a lot pf problems with MSD and Accell systems.

Forrest

·
6,305 Posts
For a carbed 351 you want the HI-6 with an LX91 coil. If you have 10.5:1 or more compression in a race environment they suggest the LX92 coil, otherwise the LX91 is perfect for the street. The HI-6s is for computer controlled engines. I bought mine from Jegs for $219 including the coil. There are no problems with tach hookup. I like it.
Frank

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hey Ed, I went with the HI-6s and spent three days trying to figure it out only to find that it is the wrong one. Crane says it is for computer controlled cars. Returned it and bit the bullit on the HI-6 and the car fired right up. You can get the HI-6 w/ coil combo from jegs for $289. Part of a promo thing that they have left over. Was going for $199:-( Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
The Hi-6 has more spark energy capability, and it will create a multiple spark up to 3,000 rpm. It's also CD, and digital.

The Hi-6s has a little less spark energy capability, makes multiple spark up to 2,000 rpm's, is analog, not CD. The module is also considerably smaller. It also end up being about $150 less. So, big differances between the two boxes.

However, you have to decide if you can use that additional capability. Because the ignition can produce 45K volts, doesn't mean it actually will. For a carbed engine with less than 10:1 compression, I don't think you'll find any power differance between the two.

Personally, I used the Hi-6s.

·
8,155 Posts
I have an Accel coil on mine and it worked just fine for about 10 years, 6 on my Mustang and 4 on the FFR.

When I had my FFR dyno tuned about 3 years back we tried the car with and without the Hi6 hooked up and found no meaningful difference in the power curves, in fact I seem to remember that the peak HP was actually a couple HP less with the box hooked up. The plugs were gapped at 0.030" so it may well have produced more power if the plug gap was opened up.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got a MSD dizzy, so I'm guessing I'll have to use the more $$ part... the Hi-6s info says for points or stock computerized units.. not for magnetic triggers. Also now Jegs has the combo for only $302! :eek:

·
6,305 Posts
Ed,
Buy them separately. The box is $219.99 and the LX-91 coil is $49.99 at Jegs. Don't get the LX-92 unless it's a race only motor.
Frank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts