Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't really post much of anything; however, I do use this forum from time to time for information (thank you to all contributors). I wanted to share this with the Forum members that have Coyote motors with a shallow Moroso Oil Pan (part#20570) to hopefully save someone the headache of what I recently ran across as I couldn't find any threads dealing with what I found. The Moroso oil pan (at least the one I have) has an engineering flaw regarding the dipstick passage or lack thereof causing an oil overfill condition.

I have a brand new Coyote 5.0L crate motor from Ford Racing (M-6007-M50). I called Ford Racing and they confirmed that these engines take 8 quarts in the entire system (including the filter).

I've just recently got my Mk4 to the go-cart stage and topped with fluids. I am running a remote oil filter with about 4 total feet of -10 AN oil hose line. Calculating the extra volume of the Oil Pan (Moroso says 1.5 quarts) over stock, the larger PH8A filter (0.3 qt. difference) along with the extra oil in the supply and return lines (0.2 qt.), my system should take right at 10 quarts.

Further, the Moroso oil pan is supposed to be able to use the stock dipstick.

I had to dump in 11 quarts to get the dipstick to read full. I called Moroso to make sure the literature on their pan was accurate stating a capacity of 1.5 additional quarts over stock. They confirmed. They also indicated that 11 quarts seemed fine.

Having go-carted it for a couple of weeks this extra quart of oil kept nagging me. I gave up, put it on the lift, dropped the oil-pan took some measurements and quickly realized that the dipstick was hitting the top baffle plate and deflecting. In fact, there is no hole or relief for the dipstick to pass through and down into the oil below the top of the baffle. I ended up having to fill the oil pan fuller than designed in order for the dipstick to read full.

I simply drilled an over sized hole through the baffle plate to allow the dipstick to drop into the oil unencumbered. Filled the engine with oil and this time it took exactly 10 quarts as I had originally calculated and expected. It seems to be something that Moroso hasn't or doesn't acknowledge. Hmmm. Problem fixed anyway.

If any of you have experienced the same thing and haven't solved the mystery, this might help. I've attached some pics as well.

Trevor

Attachments

·
15,282 Posts
I know all the modular guys are just dying for me to chime in on this... :evil: :D

Trevor -- just be glad that you didn't suffer any ill effects to your new engine while you figured this out. It sounds like you have come up with a good work-around for yourself. Personally, I wouldn't have a Moroso product in my vehicle.

Cheers, John

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
Champ Coyote has the hole

FYI, the Champ pan for the Coyote has the dipstick relief hole in it...

DSC_0020.jpg

Kevin

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Guys,

Thanks for the additional insight on the Champ pan. Chalk this one up to another woulda coulda shoulda. Anyhow, hard to imagine they can get away with selling a pan like this. This is such an easy slam dunk for Moroso for a fix going forward.

Anyhow, it's fixed now so on to the next issue.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
i,
This is news to me. I will call Moroso tomorrow and get more details.
I have sold many of these Moroso pans for the Coyote without any complaints. If people have issues please forward them to me so I can weigh in these issues with Moroso.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mike I purchased my Coyote and Moroso pan from you, I have the pan on the engine but haven't install the motor yet. Please let us know if we need to make he change or fix

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Mine is still on the engine stand will pull the pan, finger tight now, & take a look. Had Moroso oil pans since the early '60's without any problems but will drill the pan if there is a blockage.

BTW thanks for the oil pan capacity, saves a look up:) Will have to do some subtraction for a short non-remote filter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just spoke with Mike and he is talking with Moroso to see what the deal is. I've got 2500 miles on mine...hoping I haven't damaged anything. We'll see what Moroso says. I'm just surprised if this is, in fact, something they overlooked!

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have a Coyote engine in house and Moroso 20570 oil pan that i will test fit and have a determination tomorrow.
I called multiple people at Moroso and they are working on it. They will update the newer pans and I'm waiting for some resolution to the dipstick issue.
I want to thank Trevor for bringing all of this to my attention and will be reporting with photos Thursday.
Thanks for your understanding with this new/old problem.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for running this down Mike. Maybe to put others at ease, even if everything I've presented is confirmed (which it will be), it appears that the maximum amount of additional oil that could potentially be in the system looks to me to be about 1 quart because of this dipstick issue (regardless of filter, cooler, remote or no filter relocation, etc). It puts the oil just above the oil pan's windage tray/baffle but well below the mating surface and the crank. I don't think any engines would have been harmed in that I wouldn't think the oil was high enough to allow the crank to whip it up and foam it. But then again, I'm no expert.

Trevor

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have a Coyote engine in house and Moroso 20570 oil pan that i will test fit and have a determination tomorrow.
I called multiple people at Moroso and they are working on it. They will update the newer pans and I'm waiting for some resolution to the dipstick issue.
I want to thank Trevor for bringing all of this to my attention and will be reporting with photos Thursday.
Thanks for your understanding with this new/old problem.
Hi Mike that wouldn't be my Coyote engine you have there by any chance would it?! (aka Chris G) If there is an issue I assume you will mod for me. Would love if you could send pic of my package when all done.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi greg,
Yes, this is your Coyote. I think Jesse will have this figured out by noon.
More pictures to follow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Really glad I spent over $400 for this Moroso brand oil pan....so now the list for me on brand new parts with either defects, leaks, or design flaws are: Tremec TKO 600 with leak, Ford racing billet flywheel not running true, Ford racing pressure plate with bad fingers. Bad luck some may say? ;)

From Moroso tech dept today:

"We are in the process of doing a design revision to accommodate the factory

dipstick. Once we have the details ironed out on our end then we will

address the existing pans in the field accordingly. We will be in touch

over the next few days.

Thank you for your patience

Moroso Tech Dept."

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Guys,
Jesse has been on this from first thing this morning.

Fix #1 PAN OFF Remove and drill hole in oil pan baffle, see photo and template. Re-Mark oil level on stick.

Fix #2: Shorten dipstick ~5/8" to avoid baffle interference (approx. 19 7/8" overall length), re twist the end, and Re-Mark oil level on stick.

the oil capacity for the coyote is 8 quarts. Moroso claims 20570 "holds 1.5 more quarts then oem mustang pan"

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Guys,

Here is the modification made to the oil pan baffle, and dipstick markings.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Guys,
NOTE: The dip stick is not going to contact any reciprocating parts. BTW, you can also do nothing. Jesse has markings of the stock stick for graduations.
This problem is minor and looks like an easy fix once the pan is down.
For the people who purchased a Moroso oil pan from me I will machine the oil pan baffle.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
This Coyote is ready to go... It is complete with the oil pan baffle modification. The dipstick NOW reads accurately.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
oil pan

This Coyote is ready to go... It is complete with the oil pan baffle modification. The dipstick NOW reads accurately.
Why not just use the original Ford pan?

·
8,350 Posts
Why not just use the original Ford pan?
It would sit below the 4" rails by quite a bit, waiting for a speed bump to open it up.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts