Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like there are 3 options when installing headers for a Coyote.
1. Factory Five Header and JPipe that i just recieved.
2. Levy Headers
3. Stainless Headers out of North Dakota.

My concern on the FFR header and JPipe is the sharp bend of the JPipe, will this cause performance problem? Anyone that can chime in would be great. The Stainless Headers company looks nice but after you install the wide Coyote the Headers are hard to see anyway.
Thanks

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
I dont think the sharp bend will cause any performance problem. Our exhausts are certainly less restrictive overall than a factory setup. In such a light car, even if its 10 or 20 hp you wont even feel it. I know one option early on in the Coyote swaps was the standard set of 4.6 headers with modified flanges. Dont know if its an option anymore, they were available through ASTGlenn. Certainly a more cost effective way of getting into 4 into 4's. Hope this helps!

Mike

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
On a 347 on the dyno the FFR 4 into 4's made 75 more hp than the J-pipes. My systems will make even more.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just curious... that 75hp difference was with stock 302 exhaust manifolds? Have you dynoed j-pipes with an aftermarket shorty? The stock manifolds aren't very good, even with just 302 cubes.

I suppose my questions are a bit irrelevant since the coyote j-pipes are routed completely different from the 4.6/302 j-pipes. The coyote j-pipe setup also gets a new tube header, so it isn't much of an apples to apples comparison, but shocking data anyway!

On a 347 on the dyno the FFR 4 into 4's made 75 more hp than the J-pipes. My systems will make even more.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
That was with an aftermarket 1 5/8" primary short.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I have no doubt the j-pipe set up is extremely restrictive on both ends. At the header/j-pipe side its not a smooth radius. FFR cut off the radius to make a non natural bend. The turbulence on the leader edge has to be substantial. On the sidepipe end you lose a lot of area as the exhaust hits the flat surface of the center of the 4 smaller pipes.

Both Stainless and Levy should make substantially more power.

The Stainless Headers are cheaper than the FFR headers + astglenn flange as well as the FFR shorty headers and j-pipes.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Just curious... that 75hp difference was with stock 302 exhaust manifolds? Have you dynoed j-pipes with an aftermarket shorty? The stock manifolds aren't very good, even with just 302 cubes.

I suppose my questions are a bit irrelevant since the coyote j-pipes are routed completely different from the 4.6/302 j-pipes. The coyote j-pipe setup also gets a new tube header, so it isn't much of an apples to apples comparison, but shocking data anyway!
I would wager the BBK headers FFR sells for the coyote flow equal or worse than the stock manifolds. Ford didn't use the stock cast stuff like on previous engines. Its a welded 2 to 2 to 1 exhaust header. If it wasn't huge it could be reused on the kit.

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Check out my build thread. Glenn Evans sells adapter brackets I designed that allow you to adapt FFR 4.6 headers. Requires fabrication but allows you to use headers you can get with the kit.

It's a bit of work and not for everyone... But another option. It would be easier going with what's on your list :)

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.