Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
I bought mine because I plan to rev the snot out of the engine at times and take it to the track. Having said that, I think a few sprints here and there aren't going to be worth tearing the front off, especially if it's a crate engine. If you plan to change cams or anything else, I agree it's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Agreed. Unless you're going to track your car or add forced induction the stock pieces will be fine. Assume you know, as alluded to, it's a pretty major disassembly of the front of the engine to get to the oil pump. Accessories, balancer, timing cover, timing chains and tensioners. Then the crankshaft gear and oil pump are exposed to remove and swap out the parts. Multiple videos on YouTube if you want to see more details.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
IMHO not worth the tear down effort in a street engine that will get run up once in a while.

Reactions: Toadster

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Agree with all of the above. I've done the OPG upgrade on a couple of Coyote builds and the only time we install them is if it is going to see sustained high rpm (road course) or boost. If it is going to see some autocross events, a few quick runs to the top of the tach, etc. it's not worth the cost and labor.

Mark

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Wait a minute, this is a race car, that'll make it 50 to 100 mph faster.
If you really want to make the engine better, get a dozen neodymium magnets and put them around the fuel line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts