Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting closer and closer to graduation... But I noticed a change in the behavior of the coyote start. Before, the engine wouldn't start if clutch pedal wasn't pressed but today I noticed it started without pressing the clutch in. I know for sure it used to work correctly. I tested the functions of both top and bottom clutch travel switches and both seem to function correctly. I have no idea what to do next to troubleshoot it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Only the bottom switch when pedal pushed all the way down has an effect on the start function. The top switch isn't part of that function and in fact was eliminated on later versions of the Gen 2 and completely on the Gen 3. I've never had that happen in hundreds of Coyote starts (maybe thousands???). In fact, I purposely adjusted it so the clutch has to be all the way against the stop. If I'm a little lazy and don't get it there, doesn't start. I don't think you have to look any further than troubleshooting that bottom switch. Is it somehow out of adjustment and always closed? Is the switch maybe shorted closed or broken or failed in some way? Something up with the harness that it's shorted closed? Those are the places I'd start.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey man, can you believe I am finally finishing it! It only took 6 years, you built 2.5 cars in that time 😂

Yeah, I checked the switch and the connectors. Mine is also set for pretty close to the to the stop and function correctly. The connectors are secure, and I know this used to work for sure (I have it on video of my first start!). The car sat for the past 3 months between the paint shop and rear end coming down and today was the first start after a few months. Can't figure out what would have caused the change in behavior. Don't know if related, but I also got a P0116 code for the first time today. I put 150 miles on her before and never had a code. Strange! I will go check the harness but I am leaning toward this being a ECU thing. I read a report of someone on the forum that had a similar problem and after an upgrade the problem went away: Intermittant no crank. Gen 2 crate motor.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
P0116 is a false positive that was in early Gen 2 PCM calibrations. I had it along with others. Fixed in later versions and requires a reflash for yours. Doesn't hurt anything and at some point you'll want to get it fixed. Not related to your issue. Perhaps a reflash will fix your clutch switch problem. But seems that if it once worked nothing in the PCM should change and be the cause. But that's just a guess.

Welcome back to the build BTW!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I do have a pretty early gen 2 just like yours. I did check the harness, sensor functions, adjustment, and connections and everything seem to be functioning as they should. No idea what to do outside a shot in the air based on that report. As you said I have to get it flashed anyways at some point, I might as well do it now that I don't have the body back yet! I am hoping it fixes it but I don't understand why or how! But I don't seem to have any other options on my end to do more.

Technically I was never away from the build, just slow builder and a lot of short breaks in the build 😜 I am hoping in a couple of weeks I will be done - yay! And as always, thanks for all your help and sharing your knowledge. Been immensely helpful...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, had to wait to put the dash back on to test it. No change, plugged/unplugged it doesn't work. I chased the wire in the harness and unless much deeper in the coyote harness, the wiring is good and correct.

Very strange...

what happens if you unplug the switch? Does it still start?
Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you find the cause, please post. I am having the exact same issue with my Gen 2 Coyote installed in a Gen 3 Coupe. Switch worked fine (clutch had to be down to start) for a couple months, now will start regardless of clutch position. I have checked the wiring and switch, and it will start with the switch disconnected. I also had the P0116 error and Ford wanted me to send the PCM back to reflash which I have done. At the same time, I told them about the switch problem. I probably won’t get the PCM back in the car for a couple more weeks but when I do, I’ll let you know if it also fixed the clutch switch problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. I guess this is not as crazy of theory as I thought it was! I chatted with ford support a couple of times and the second person said he has heard of that and told me to reach to the electronics ford support folks on email with case info. I haven't heard back yet, but the only thing I can think of at this point is PCM reflash. I will keep you posted and please report back when you get your PCM.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I have the same situation. Worked for a while, now starts regardless of clutch position. Gen 2 2017 purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After a few rounds of conversation they suggested sending the PCM back for a refresh. They are not sure if it will solve the clutch problem or not, but at this point I don't know what else to do. I will report back if that changes anything. Will probably take a couple of weeks before I know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got the PCM installed after the reflash and the clutch switch problem is gone. Not sure how long it will work, but for now, the reflash fixed it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is so strange... Clearly this is a software glitch! Maybe I rewire so the actual starter signal goes through the switch. I am shipping my PCM today, hopefully my problem will also get fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts