Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come up with a cover for the steering shaft between the pillow blocks. Some crome pipe with an ID of 1 inch. Thought a cromed towel rack might work, but diamiters are too small. Other than painting it after installed, I don't think you could coat it with anything because of the tight fit in the blocks.

Dennis

·
3,217 Posts
Sent you an e-mail with contact info and a picture of Bob McLaughlin's cover.

·
5,559 Posts
I made one several years ago that is polished aluminum for my car. I have stainless that I plan to upgrade the aluminum with (if I ever get around to it). It looks awesome now, but the stainless would cut down a little on the vast amount of polishing that I have now!

Brian

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
I had mine chromed. No problem with the fit in the pillow blocks. The chrome itself adds a negligible thickness to the piece. It's the base coating (usually nickel or copper) that adds thickness. The steering shaft you got from FFR should be pretty smooth already, so there shouldn't be any need for a thick base coat. Take it to a local chromer and ask them about it.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I used chrome sink drain and some grommets to hold it in place from Lowes. I think the I.D. is 1-1/4 and the grommets compress to take up the slack. Hope this helps and is what you are talking about.

Mike

·
Junior Charter Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Mike! Thats exactly whet I'm talking about!

Thank you!

Dennis

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Bob you have mail!
Ken

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Here's mine. I used an old, thin-walled aluminum closet pole I had laying around. I fabbed brackets for the top & bottom so the cover does not turn with the steering shaft. It's a lot easier to seal the gaps at the FFR steering shaft cover with a fixed object than with a rotating one. The upper bracket and about 3" of my shaft cover are inside the footbox and covered by the FFR cover. The whole thing weighs less than a pound.

ps – The brake lines look a lot closer to the cover than they actually are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts