Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 1/4" spacer in and just clear the tube.

Here's a pic of the tranny from above, note the edge of the tranny case almost touches the 3/4 rail (about 1/8" clearence) I was thinking that under hard acceleration it may move enought to hit that rail.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tko500

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
did you install the tranny mount?

there's also a spacer that goes under the tranny (it's about an inch tall) that will help clear the tranny.

and on the right side, I also had the same problem but mine is a T56 6 Speed. You can move the tranny to the other side a little bit if the tranny mounts allow it, if not you can just notch the tranny aluminum or remove the engine/tranny and notch that frame tube a little bit. ( I removed some aluminum material from my tranny case).

SERGIO
---------------------
Ongoing Projects:
"SuperCobra" - 1st of its kind
"Double Displacement" - '03 GT into '87 Stang

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Serigo,
Yes I have the tranny mount and the 1/4" spacer installed. The 1/2" seems to be too much and caused the tranny to actually touch the 3/4" rail.

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
you should also install your sidepipes (temporarily), they will tell you if you need to raise or move your tranny/engine or move it side to side so that the sidepipes are level ed (with the frame and with the ground).

I had to cut off some aluminum from the tranny case to allow it not to hit the frame and I also had to fabricate a 1" spacer to raise the tranny so that it was leveled all around.

is the tranny removable piece in there and all the bolts line up with their respective slots?

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
SD - I recently posted with similar questions (see link below). The short answer was it is OK for now and may need further tweaking as the build progresses, i.e. car is set to ride height, drive shaft is in, pinion angle is set, and side pipes are on. As you can see from the link, I went to the 1/2" spacer but no clearance issues with any other tranny tunnel frame members? I'm using the ES tranny mount. I also understand that the tranny and differential do not line up and will be approx. 1" off.

http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/085827.html?

OK, maybe not so short but HTH.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sergio, Yes everything is in and lines up. I'll install the side pipes and see what it looks like. Thanks.

Brian,Thanks. I can go up to 3/4". I'm not too worried, I'm sure this will work out o.k.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
SD:
I helped a friend install his TKO 500 a few weeks back and that 3/4 inch tunnel brace had to be cut out to clear his mid-shift handle.
In your case it looks like you may have to do the same thing to clear the trans when under load.
Double check everything just to be sure.
Good progress.
Paul M.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts