Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, has anyone encountered these gliches. I have a 3.1 roadster, using basically donor parts, all rebuilt. I completed the car in summer of '08, but a reoccurring theme has been my fuel sender or gauge, not sure which. I am using accumeter electric fuel gauge, stock mustang fuel tank and float system. Sometimes when I refuel, the gauge reads no fuel, other times if I park on a slight incline (up or down) the gauge reads no fuel. It always comes back after a mile or two of driving, sometimes if I tap the gauge it comes up. So has anyone else had this happen. It is kind of blue moon stuff, but it bugs me. The next glich is the bracket that is attached to the frame over the drive shaft, that holds the two parking brake cables going to the rear end. This bracket is facing almost straight down and if i go over the bumps to fast it hits the driveshaft, most annoying. I have 550 lb. springs on a four link, all new stuff, and adjusted the rear end level as far as I can go. The car sits level and looks good. I may take the bracket off and reweld it on a different angle or have I missed something. Anyone else had this problem. Thanks for your help

·
Sensible Senior Member
320 Posts
Be sure that you're not getting drive shaft binding. I had big noise from the rear on bumps and thought it was the ebrake cable bracket but couldn't find any marks on the driveshaft. Turned out it was the front D/s ujoint bottoming/binding. Check for small crescent shaped marks on the front face of the front Ujoint yoke where the Ujoint cross rubs on the yoke. This makes a VERY abrupt loud noise when hitting bumps or road dips.
Bonne chance as we say here in la belle province.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,409 Posts
Fuel Sender

I have had a problem with my sender not working correctly. It ended up that mine is bad, but in the process of finding out it was suggested that a ground wire from the sender base to the gauge ground terminal be installed.

Regards, Rick.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Bad gauge

Geoff:

The clue, I think is----

"It always comes back after a mile or two of driving, sometimes if I tap the gauge it comes up.

Sounds like a sluggish, slightly sticking, gauge. The vibration frees it up.

Ron

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Geoff, that issue of the cable bracket hitting the d-shaft, was a common problem a few years back.
Steno's solution is the simple way to do it. You might be able to get a Dremel in there, and you should just need to trim about a 1/2" off.

I used the later model, shorter, Mustang e-brake cables, (rather than the Fox) for my 3.1 build, and simply cut that bracket right off. You can then use the other bracket that's nearer the e-brake handle, for the cables, and simply zip tied the cables to the frame at the end of the tunnel to keep them clear of the drive shaft.
Now I do have calipers on the rear, so that may not be possible for the rear drum brake builds..

Grounds good on the fuel tank harness, and gauge?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.