Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cobra here that is having a couple of issues. Once the car is up to tempature, it will not restart. It smells like its getting too much fuel. It cranks over no problem but will not fire. It starts right up when cold. All sensors are new. Second. Anything above idle and the charge indicator light comes on. Also the volt gage goes up to about 18 when this happens. I have not run into either of these two problems before. Any help would be appriecated.
thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Mike,
The voltage problem can be a bad ground on a car. I'm not sure how this can happen in a FFR being verything is metal. Who's EFI wire kit are you using? I'd recheck my wiring on the harness.
Best of luck,
Mike Forte

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced tha alternator with a known good one. Problem solved.

As for the no start condition, I can get it to start right up by unplugging the fuel pump relay. If I unplug it and fire it up then plug it back in right away before it stalls, it will run fine. Any ideas???

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Sounds like a problem in the relationship between the starter relay and the fuel pump relay....what circuit is in common (I guess I mean that if the EEC is sensing that the starter relay is engaged , the fuel pump relay should not be)...maybe... like a wiring problem.

·
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No not a wiring problem. By disconnecting the fuel relay its not dumping gas into the cylinders. I am beginning to wonder if I am using a computer that is not compatable with what I am doing the computer is a 8LD I am todl this is a mass air computer for California emmisions. Can anybody comfirm this?

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reversed polarity? The car starts and runs fine, just wont restart without stopping the fuel pump first. Once the car starts I can plug the fuel pump ack inand all is well. I was told that the coolant temp sender may be telling the computer that the car is still cold when its not. I geuss it gives it more gas when its cold. May have to start swapping parts till I get it solved.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Hi Mike,
You had a reversed polarity condition when the diode in your alternator's regulator shorted. The symptom there was your red charge light working backwards.
I'm looking at a '90 Helms EVTM. Interesting enough, one of the routes for the power going thru the red light is thru fuse 18 in the fuse panel and out to the Low Coolant Switch.

Again, can you run the codes? I'm gonna guess that the reversed polarity coming out of the regulator trashed your Low Coolant Switch and it's sending bad data to the EEC.

Hope this helps.

d.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts