Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my Ford Motorsports bellhousing on.

1) My Chilton's manual recommends a teflon based thread sealer. Any specific recommendations? I assume it's because these bolts are wet and they need to be leak proof.

2) Book also simply says to replace the rear crankshaft pilot bearing. It doesn't say why or to inspect first. Do you guys also recommend that I just change it if I'm there? Or just grease it up if it looks in good shape and reassemble?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
any good thread seal should due.. I stick with the Loc Tight brands just cause I have never had bad things happen with them.. Look at the label and use the ones that say "seal"

replace the pilot. For the $15 bucks you will spend it is cheap insurance. Just think if it goes bad you need to take all that stuff apart again to change it..

Use the hydo method to remove it. Pack with heavy wheel bearing grease then place a dowel the same size as the hole in the pilot bearing and give it a wack. the bearing and a whole lot of ooze will come out.. Clean everything up and pop in the new one with a dep well socke tapping it in place nice and easy like....

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I've used the grease trick before and was VERY surprised at just how HARD you have to hit the damn thing to get it to come out. No baby taps there!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts