Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching this forum for about 2 years now and I was wondering if there was an explanation for this. I was curious if there was a clean cut answer to why completed coupes sell for significantly more than the roadsters. I can see obvious differences in the two cars. But the running gear is usually the same between the two types. Is it build complexity? Amount of hours needed? I am just curious. Thanks for your time guys.

·
Junior Charter Member
725 Posts
good question. All of the above. The coupe cost cosiderably more to build. In my opinion $40,000 is a realistic minimum. The coupe also is a much more complexed build, reguiring more time then the roadster and last but not least is the rareness of the coupe. How many coupes have you seen on the road?

I hope others chime in with their point of view. They might have a complete different opinion.

Roy

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I think that, like any kit build, it depends on the quality of the build. I'm going low-budget and am shooting for $28k final total (am at about $19k with the kit in the barn and the donor). It's mainly a donor build (spindles, brake calipers, brake pedals, engine, transmission, & diff), isn't being built as a show-winner but a driver, and will be used on local road rallies, tours, and ice cream runs. I'm taking my time, shooting for 300-350hp, and a finished weight of 2300 lbs. The thing that seems to run the bill up is the paint work and there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that I can justify a paint job that costs more than $3000. If I had a car that the paint alone cost $8k I'd be afraid to drive it!

·
Junior Charter Member
725 Posts
george,I think you have the right approach. I just completed the paint and reassembly proceedure and the costs turned out higher then I had hoped. My costs for materials were over $2500 plus 400 hours of fitting sanding fitting and more sanding. True, I have a nice job, especially for a driver,but your cost controls make alot of sense.
Roy

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The build is much more complex than the roadster- there is a lot more body to work and get to fit correctly, the rear hatch to fit, the doors and windows, almost manditory (unless you WANT to drive a sexy looking sauna in the summer) is a A/C system, more panels than the roadster (especially if you want it fairly water tight), there is the nose. rear spoiler, rear underpan, three scoops to fit.

Like others if you choose to add extras they add time and $$$ to the build- I went with the FFR Vintage Air A/C, Russ Thompson between the seats glove box, radio, APE turn signals on the column, full insulation and carpeting, interior courtesy lights, Russ Thompson's windshield air deflectors, two outside mirrors, a third brake light, trailer adapter to operate all 4 taillights as stop lights and two on each side for turn signals. This is just a small list of upgrades I made. If I was doing it again, I would have added the enlarged passengers footbox upgrade (offered by forum vendors) for passenger comfort. I am also fabricating door seal surfaces so they are fairly air/watertight.

All this adds money and time- I figure on about 8K for finishing the body work and painting with stripes and bubbles plus some $$ for mechanically finishing the build (tune engine and align suspension). Will also pay to have the windshield trimmed and installed after painting.

All this means that the price to build CAN be higher and take longer to do than the roadster , that plus the rareness of the Coupes vs the roadsters (FFR and other manufactures offering the Coupe sell a fraction of coupes vs roadsters- heck, most people do not even KNOW that Shelby fabricated 6 coupes on roadsters frames back in the early '60's, let alone WANT a replica of one). Those that do though love the looks and lines of the coupe, I know I do and always have.
FlaRalph

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
I think Ralph was right on target with the rarity of the coupe, and the resale prices. When I built the roadster, very few were around our town. Now I'd guess, and only a guess, that there are no less than 20 on the road with 10-15 still being built. I know of only three coupes in our area, only 1 on the road and it's a Superformance.

Rob

·
475 Posts
I never knew they were around, all I had ever saw were the roadsters.I saw an add for an FFR coupe and that really got me going for a coupe hardly ever see'm on the road but what a blast to drive.I keep my windows out in the summer no AC yet.Most never can tell me what it is and I like it that way.Ours is mostly a track car and built that way no insulation no radio just the way it Raced back in the day. OOOO what a feeling;--)

·
Junior Charter Member
733 Posts
I can honestly say I was considering a Roadster over a coupe.
After this weekend. We had ten Roadster in tow. It was great to see them in the rear view mirror.
Still the coupe is my dream car.
The wife commented.....Who knows maybe we will have both. :001_huh::eek:hmy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts