Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents trailered down the car to Texas when they came to visit, so it is here now for the rest of the build.

After a couple of days working on the garage to get it semi usable (still not finished inside though) we started working on the car.

I had this Brembo kit left over from my last car. So after getting new caliper brackets and rotor discs made I got that bolted up. It is a four piston set up with 13"x1.25" rotors. We are also working on getting the fuel cell frame work welded in.

I'll have more pictures this week as we work.

JC

·
Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've made some progress lately. I've got the hard fuel lines done, and the brake lines done. I've also almost got all the accessories on the engine so it will be ready to install. I've got an AC bracket coming and North Race cars AC system on the way as well. I also just ordered the fuel cell. The next couple of days I am going to focus on the AL for the door bars and cockpit.

I've got a deadline to be finished now (see new thread) so it is going to be all a$$'s and elbows in the shop.

JC

·
Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the driver's side AL done in the cockpit. It took some frogging around to made pieces. The other side is going faster.

JC

·
Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Passenger side door AL is done. Just need to caulk and tape all the seams and I'll be done with that. The AC system showed up today, so tomorrow I will be working on the fire wall mods to make it fit. All the engine accessories are mounted now. Just need the serpentine belt.

JC

·
Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are those spindles? I haven't seen any like that before.
Those are the spindles that Factory Five are selling now that were made for their cars.

JC

·
Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here is the latest progress. The fuel cell is installed and the pump and sender is wired up. I'm still waiting for some parts from summit to finish the plumbing. I also want to change the straps on the bottom from 1 1/2" x 1/8" flat stock to some 1 1/2"W x 1/2"H channel for more strength. I also have the A/c unit mounted and think I have the fittings figured out so I can mount the bottom hose out in the engine compartment. The top hose will still be connected inside the fire wall, but I think I can access that fitting with the top of the dash off. I've also started on the two wire harnesses (RF chassis harness and the PCM harness). I have several circuits that I need to marry together (fuel pump, cooling fan, reverse lights ....). That is taking some time, but I am getting it done. I started on rough mounting the dash and center console, but got frustrated with the dash fit. I bought a blank dash face from Russ Thompson and it is a little warped so is giving me fits. When my Dad comes down we'll be able to figure it out. You know, two heads are better than one.

At One point I was getting very frustrated with some problems I was having and a bit over whelmed and I said to myself, "this is suppose to me easier the second time." it doesn't feel any easier. Maybe it is because I am doing more with this build this time?

My parents are coming down next week, so my Dad and I hope to get the engine installed, cooling system connected, and maybe a first start.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks for posting. I am just starting my Complete Coupe and will be watching your progress.....

·
Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yesterdays progress.

engine in.

Got the dash warp figured out. While my dash is warped a little the dash mounting tube wasn't straight as well and in the opposite direction. We cut the center mount, straighten it and re-welded. Dash fits much better now.

Started on the radiator. I think someone welded my drain hole in the wrong place :( Another trip to the welder to have that moved. Might have him straighten the lower outlet as well.

·
Charter Member
3,740 Posts
Started on the radiator. I think someone welded my drain hole in the wrong place :( Another trip to the welder to have that moved. Might have him straighten the lower outlet as well.
jkrueger,
That is the same place as mine, I used it more as a vent to release trap air in the upper radiator when filling the coolant system.
I think FF buys the aluminum radiators cheap because they fit some other vehicle (instead of having a custom one built) and we install them upside down.

·
Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Todays progress:

I got my center console built. Looks like the mid shifter is a bit to forward now (the engine is about 1.5" forward from the "stock" location). I'll have to get a shift rod that bends back now.

Got the serpentine belt right finally, and got the accusump mounted.

Got the fuel line in the engine compartment done.

What do you guys think of these tires? 15x12" NASCAR slick. Won't fit my brakes though. My Dad got this as a souvenir at the Charlotte race this year.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.