Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Well, I've finally got most of the car reassembled, after having finally finished the bodywork and the paint a few weeks ago, and figured I'd share some photos.

With the exception of the rear window, the exterior is now back together. To try something different, I adjusted my spraygun to produce a type of eggshell finish. Have seen that finish on some cars in the past and really liked it. I expected it to have a matte-type finish, but it came out a bit glossier than I expected after the clear, but actually looks better than I expected. Had a lot of good feedback so far, so will leave it like that for now.

When I was test driving it last fall, I had a lot of small gravel and stuff that got tossed up through the small openings in the top of the rear wheel arches onto the back of my head (!!), so I've sealed the openings and also built aluminum wheel wells all around the rear wheels. Should be helpful the first time I get caught in the rain too!

Now I start work on the interior; I got some nicer headliner, and some nice leather for the dash, console and door panel inserts.

I have a flat piece of Lexan for the back window, but not quite sure how to form it / mold it, so need to do some research on that.

The only mechanical stuff left is installing the new fuel pump and new fuel lines in the engine compartment. After that, I should be ready for graduation.

Now, if only all that snow outside would melt...sigh... it'll be several months yet...

Cheers,
John

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Excellent work John!

Yep, I'm lamenting the winter up here and I know Rob is too. At least I have a heated workshop.

Funny you mention the gravel. I live on a dirt/gravel road and have to drive about 1/3 mile to get to pavement. A buddy of mine mentioned that the thrown gravel can star the paint from the underside where the fiberglass is exposed. This will be a concern especially in front. So, I'm considering some dynamat or similar material on the undersides to protect it.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,969 Posts
Looks really nice John...congratulations! Just think how sweet it will be in the spring!

With regards to the wheel wells....I too want to put something there. This is what I have found so far:

Wheel Well Liner : dynamat liner
rhino lining's hard line product
3M sound deadening pads 08840 adhesive
3M Body Schutz rubberized coating, black quart part 08864, sound deadner

Marc

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Howdy John,

Cool beans!

I like you color combo.

Snow? What the heck is snow? Except for today it's suppose to be in the 60's and 70's for the next 10 days.

Paul

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'm hoping we'll get a few warm spells over the winter which dry-up the roads enough to go out for a few little drives. Luckily, I did get the Vintage Air heater!

·
2,625 Posts
John...Congratulations on the awesome progress. Kudos on the paint and bodywork...Your car looks amazing, and I'll bet it feels great to have it back together. :001_smile:

Those "stars" that folks are discussing are a real issue. I've been looking at reinforcing/protecting the underside of the hood (over the tires) on the new Coupe to prevent some of the damage we sustained from rocks and other debris which pummelled the underside of the #28 Warrior Queen. The "stars" soon became cracks, and then paint chipping quickly followed. Whatever is used must be secured in such a way that assures it will never dislodge (temperature variables, rain, dirt, gravel, and other road hazzards), so I'm considering a variant of truck bed liner rather than layering a mat-like product.

Love watching your build, and wish you continued success!!!

Karen

·
Registered
726 Posts
Looks good! Lots of people are going with that satin black look for their rods too. Your exhaust, would you have better pictures of how you installed it, I don't see the clamps that came with the exhausts. Thanks, John.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again guys, and thanks for the tip on protecting the underside of the fenders. Never thought about that until now. I've already got a coat of truck bedliner sprayed in there, but I think I'll add a couple more coats.

70gtvert, here are a few more pics of the side pipe clamps. I'm definitely using those big ol' ugly clamps, and they are visible, but more so from a lower angle. I'm hoping not too many people will bend down enough to see much of them.

Stock with the kit, the side-pipe fit was very bad. I couldn't even slide the side-pipes over the ends of the headers, so had to take the pipes to the muffler shop to get them stretched open a bit, using their hydraulic machine. Also, I found the lengths of the header-ends and corresponding side-pipe-ends were way off (too long), so the side-pipes were pushed too far out from the body, as well as too far rearward. I ended up cutting off an inch or two from the ends of the headers as well as the front ends of the side-pipes. This brought the pipes closer in to the body, as well as further forward so they line-up better with the body indentation all the way along, including the rearward-end of the indentation. The bonus was that this also tucked the clamps a bit more inside the body, making them less visible (not invisble, though).

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.