Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what it would cost to get a set of rotors cross drilled? I know they will crack over time, but I won't be putting many miles on the car so they should last a while. I have a set that came with the PBRs I got and they are essentially brand new. I really want cross drilled and want to use these if I can. Thanks.
J_B

·
6,546 Posts
You'll be amazed (and mortified) how fast they can develop cracks. Slots don't look as cool, but they don't crack the rotors...at least that I've seen.

·
Charter Member
88 Posts
Why not just buy a set that was designed and built that way? Napa has cross drilled and slotted high performance rotors for about $110 each. PR85984L and PR85984R

·
Caress of Steel
2,180 Posts
Sell the ones you have on Ebay, and pick some of the Powerstop rotors up from Summit if you really want that look. They sent me a pair of those for the front with my Cobra brake setup I purchased a few years back because the rotors that came with it were mismatched (Ford switched manufacturers not long before that).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Finally a subject that I believe I might have some valuable information on! I don’t like drilled rotors. Ozona is right drilled rotors crack, slots aren’t too bad. I think drilled rotors today are more for looks that functionality, look at an F1 car no drilled rotors.

Just my .02

Bud Gordon

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
Yes, cross drilling rotors causes stress risers that encourage thermal cracking as the rotor heats and cools. If the holes are cast into the rotor and not drilled, the rotors are much less likely to crack. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which manufacturers cast the holes versus drilling. As mentioned before, cross drilling is primarily cosmetic, and good venting is more functional.

·
Registered
900 Posts
& since the function of brakes is to remove
heat, & heat transfer is largely an issue of
mass, you will not only cause your rotors to
crack prematurely, you will actually be making
your brakes LESS effective (although the amount
is probably too small to detect)! This creates
multiple problems. First, you need to detune
your engine, since you have installed less
effective brakes (or you could just swap in a
Pinto engine). Second, you will only be able
to hang out w/the rice-boys, 'cause most of
the knowlegeable "car guys" will chide you
mercilessly for intentionally degrading the
performance of your pride & joy. Think about
it - do you REALLY want to diminish the ability
of your ride for LOOKS, when there are so many
good-looking UPgrades available?
Good luck, Matt

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured it's probably not worth getting them drilled but was hoping maybe it was easy and cheap. I'm still waiting for my wheels to see how the rotors I have will look. I painted them with VHT silver and they look pretty good so I'll have to see. I just really like the looks of the cross drilled. Believe me I don't want to spend another $400 bucks if I don't need to. They will probably look fine.
J_B

·
Junior Charter Member
363 Posts
Originally posted by tomhorn1913:
Think about it - do you REALLY want to diminish the ability
of your ride for LOOKS
Heh heh heh, if that were true I'd have a hard top for all weather driving, a trailer hitch for pulling something (you just never know when you're going to need to) and it would have a back seat for....well, you know what back seats are for. :D

drew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts