Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a quote of $180 to get my sidepipes ceramic coated by a local outfit. This is a rough quote because I didn't have the pipes with me at the time (I held out my arm and said, "they're about yay big.."). I'm not sure if any bead-blasting is included.

Is this a fair price?

UPDATE: Sorry - just saw the other thread where someone paid $250 out in Cali. Sounds like I got a reasonable estimate.

[ June 09, 2004, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Wolverine ]

·
Charter Member
1,495 Posts
Don't worry about bead blasting, that's all part of the regular prep. They'll probably bake it at 600 deg.first, then blast it, then coat it, then polish it. $180 is a good price. Keep in mind that ceramic does need polishing from time to time. Mike

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
Sounds about right for sidepipes only. Air Born Coatings in Charlotte charges $375 to do headers, J-pipes, and side pipes. While my quote was for every thing, it sounds reasonable to guess that the headers were ~$100, the J-pipes ~$75, and the side pipes ~$200.

To get the coating to apply (and stick), they should be bead blasted prior to the ceramic coating. Air Born Coatings gives a lifetime warranty on their ceramic coating.

Drew
FFR#3928

·
FFR MKII SuperCharged-331 Astro A5, 5 link rear suspension.
1,322 Posts
180 is a very good deal indeed.
I paid 265 Total for:
2 side pipes (aluminum thermal coat)
1 rollbar ( black powder coating )
You will need to polish the side pipes as said, but when considering the cost and durability,
I went with the thermal coat versus chroming. :)
Post some picks when you get em back!
Brian

·
Super Moderator
3,701 Posts
What color are you thinking about?

I originally had mine ceramic coated in black, but after two years they weren't looking so good. After installing a set of Lobacks, I decided to try out hi-temp paint and I am very pleased with the results. After 500+ miles, the paint still looks as good as when I first did it. In the pic, the top is ceramic and the bottom is paint. I would definitely do the headers in ceramic, but would think about the sidepipes if I was you.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to go with an almost chrome color. My first thought was to paint them black. And then buff them like I saw in your pics a little while ago. Then I found a engine paint at AutoZone that was an iron color that looked interesting - almost like the "after-buff" color that you had only with some sparkle highlights. It was high-temp with ceramic in it. I tried it on the MKII hangers that FFR sends and it looked good.

So I did one side of the pipes and it was awful. It didn't want to cover at all and I had to do a ton of coats. Then it was fuzzy and I was able to wipe most of it off even after it was dry. It might be that I just didn't spray it heavy enough and should have done a heavy coat instead of many light coats. I was worried about runs, though.

Now I have these awful looking pipes that are partially painted. I'll probably need to get them blasted if I want to try paint again. That's why I got to thinking that ceramic coating is probably the best idea. I didn't want to go through the trouble of having them blasted and just mess up the paint again.

Is there any tricks to getting the paint to stick? I cleaned them up really well before painting. I wiped off all the grease and then scotch-brighted the entire pipe. I didn't think I had to use any primer. I'm not sure what my mistake was.

·
Charter Member
1,495 Posts
Try firing the engine up and letting the pipes get hot so it burns all the oils off. then sandblast them. Your "rattle can" finish will come out great. It's all in the prep. Mike

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
John, what brand and type of paint did you use for the sidepipes?

-Kris

·
Super Moderator
3,701 Posts
Kris - The paint is by Plasti-Kote and is suppose to be good up to 1500 degrees, the actual color is black(HP-11) When I first painted them, they had a really flat sheen to them. Once they dried, if you touched them, it would leave a residue on your hand. I took a clean rag and buffed them out - they cleaned up to a decent sheen as you can see in the pic. This was after about 30 miles on them. The can looks like this, but with a black cap. Got it at my local Pep Boys

·
Super Moderator
3,701 Posts
VHT makes a 1200 degree paint for brakes that I tried. It looked great, and held up at an idle but when I got on it - it blistered off :(

·
FFCobra Fanatic
510 Posts
I highly recommend Coastal Coating Services, Inc. near Cleveland, OH. They charged me $150 for sidepipes and $30 for the J Pipes. They came out great. They also coated my complete dual exhaust system, including headers, for my Nomad project for $216.00. Very nice people too.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brian,
I got the quote from Stone Performance Engines in Simpsonville. I got their name from creamsicle rick. They know him over there (I'm not whether that's a good thing or not! :eek: :D (j/k rick)). Maybe rick will see this thread and chime in with any experience with them.

I'm still waffling between another paint attempt or ceramic coating. I was also emailing with another forum member who suggested thermal coating. I don't know who around here would do that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts