Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I posted this on the other forum but posting here as well to get as many opinions as possible. At the end of my first short driving season I noticed some significant corrosion on the negative terminal of my battery. The attached picture is after only a few hundred miles and only a few weeks. I have some theories but wanted to throw it out to this group to get your thoughts. Here is some relevant info:

-Brand new Yellowtop Battery (everyone’s favorite :) )
-Negative battery wire is gauge 4 and pre-fabbed from Del City
-No exotic electrical components that would draw excessive power
-1 wire alternator - note, I have been having problems with this guy. The charging post was loose, so I had to take it apart to get inside to the nut to tighten. After putting it back together it seemed to function as normal and operate at 14+v after initially revving the engine up as designed and continuing whenever I look at the gauge. It could be bouncing though when I’m not looking at it.
-Engine Ground (see photos). A normal gauge 4 wire connected to the block and then bolted directly to the 4” tube and then running to the solenoid.

Any thoughts? Could it be the alternator? Would my ground setup drive this? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Craig

·
Junior Charter Member
591 Posts
That looks like a normal amount of battery terminal corrosion to me.

I’d clean it with battery terminal cleaner and a wire brush and spray it some rust proofing, or coat it in electrical grease.

I don’t think you’ve got anything to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Junior Charter Member
161 Posts
In my experience the corrosion is usually caused by hydrogen gas. This gas can leak out between the terminal and the casing. Make sure your battery cables aren't pushing or pulling excessively on the terminals. Most well-made batteries are sealed well around the terminals, but sometimes you'll just get one that happens to leak a little. As long as the charge on the Optimas is regulated below 15 volts, they shouldn't be releasing any hydrogen gas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts