Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to mount Russ' gas pedal (whatta sweet piece that is) but haven't drilled the holes yet. My pedal box is done and in. I've never been taught proper heel & toe technique, but I want my pedals to be positioned properly when I try to learn.

So...how do I best position the gas pedal in relation to the brake pedal?

Thanks.

AJ

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
The way I learned heel and toe is that it isn't really heel and toe...that is an artifact from the very, very old cars that had a round, floor mounted "button" for the gas.

The way I learned it, the brake pedal should be about even with the gas when the brake is slightly depressed, and your foot fits between (straddles) then both. That is, the upper left portion of your foot is pressing the brake, and the mid right portion of the foot is pressing the throttle pedal. That way, you can keep the pressure on the brake, and by moving your right knee back and forth slightly, you apply or release pressure on the throttle.

At least, that's how it worked for me when racing around Infineon Raceway in the Jim Russell open wheeled cars. It worked very well for me. I'm sure others with more experience can give you a better explanation

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,716 Posts
I have my pedals set up so the brake is slightly (1/2 inch) lower than the gas when the brake is in use.This helps me roll the r side of my foot over to tap the gas.I have my copy of Russ's pedal still installed w/ 2 hose clamps.Been that way for a month and no hint of slippage.I strongly recommend you do this also.You may also be bending the gas pedal left or right to change the lateral distance to the brake.You will find that a 1/4 inch change is definately noticeable.Good luck.
PS The sound of a perfectly double clutched downshift in the Cobra is a really enjoyable thing.Downside is it's VERY noticeable when you goof.

·
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Craig, I'm going to take your suggestion about the 1/2", that sounds right to me.

Podus said:

The way I learned heel and toe is that it isn't really heel and toe...that is an artifact from the very, very old cars that had a round, floor mounted "button" for the gas.
I thought so too. But then a couple years ago, one of the networks put an in-car camera on Ricky Rudd's feet at The Glen (he's known as a good road racer) and the footwork was amazing. As he approached the chicane at the end of the back stretch, his toes were on the brake and his heel was on the gas. His ankle was so twisted around that I don't think I could even come close to it. I think I'll opt for the upright foot and pedals that are close to even, and just rotate my ankle back and forth.

AJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts