Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the filler and rage gold shipment from mac's, but while grinding out a piece of gelcoat I hit a viod and now have a 1/2 inch hole. can I use regular fiberglass resin and cloth to make the repair or do I have to find something special. thanks, Chas

·
Charter Member
1,326 Posts
3M High Strength Repair Filler (HSRF). You can use others but be sure it is compatible with "Vinylester" type fibreglass.

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
I'm not sure from your description if the hole goes all the way through the body...If not, a good glass-filled filler like 3M , or Evercoat will be fine...If the hole goes all the way through, you will want to first back the hole with some resin filled fiberglass cloth, then fill the remainder with short-strand glass filled resin...

·
Junior Charter Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the hole does go through, I have a good view of my headers. chas

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Since it goes thru you need to back up the repair with cloth. Use the cloth from the underside of the body, and once set up use the 3M high strength on the top side. Once done go back to the rage to fair it in. Be sure to really ruff up the underside of the body to be sure the cloth gets a good bonding surface and once dry aplly 1 or 2 brushed on coat of resin till you can't notice any of the "weave" or threads in the cloth.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I filled my quickjack holes with 3M HSRF; certainly bigger than 1/2". I put duct tape over the hole from the back side, and bevelled the edges of the holes to give the HSRF something to grab on to. Then, filled with HSRF, waited a week to make sure it was good and dry, then skimmed with Rage, then sanded. Turned out great. Oh, remove the duct tape when you are done. This is the prescribed method for filling quickjack holes, per SRP, so I gotta believe it would work in your situation.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
This hole is a little different than the quick-jack holes...It is in the main part of the body...
I would still back it with fiber-glass cloth...
The quick-jack holes will not affect the strength of the body...(no stress in that spot).
Flexing in the long part of the body may cause cracks without cloth backing.

·
Cobrafied
1,636 Posts
I would taper the edges of the hole so the fill material can hold onto somthing. Dan

·
Banned
608 Posts
Talked with Chas; the hole is in the bottom of the v-groove for the seams. A little duct tape on back-side; fill seams as normal. Will not print through or cause any structural problems. I had the same,a little smaller, all I did diff is no duct tape,,,Just HSRF. Very tuff stuff.

Mac

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.