·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
lets try this again

ok gang,

day 6 of the re-re-built engine, car is in my garage again

feels good...strong

the fitech efi system is both intriguing and cool...it needs dialing in and more time to "learn"
I like it though...same $$ as a Holley carb

lots and lots of tweaking, setting to my liking, and playing with the big boy toy needed

I'll check in with pictures and perhaps a video or two in the near future

good luck everyone with your builds, races, and travel safely

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
FI Tech EFI is being a pain

hello folks,

update; after driving the car for awhile (at least 400 to 500 miles) and learning about idle and other settings in the FI Tech EFI...it has decided to now only crank/start and then 2 seconds later not be able to convert to idle mode

quite out of the blue, can't figure out what I may have done (the car has 4 switches and a starter button)

sorted through all wires and fuses for shorts or leaks, purchased a new optima battery, had alternator checked at 2 places...that ain't it

the motor re-re-build...that is awesome! I'm not worried about that portion. Plenty of firepower there.

I have a neighbor that is fully engaged with the FI Tech EFI conundrum...we've been trouble shooting and have had the car running several times to no final success. He's been on the phone with them a few times and this coming Saturday we will give it another go with tons of new information.

So this project continues...not giving up on the FI Tech just yet

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
FI Tech is still...being a pain

hello FFcars campers,

update on the never ending project

my girlfriend was able to obtain an RMA # through summit racing to fitech (some resistance there)
the fitech unit went out...got lost in fedex land for a bit...and came back

after weeks and weeks of calling fitech and getting advice as to shorted wires, connections, re-programming, IAC setting, rpm signal, and fuel pump concerns....they identified the issue as a "sticky throttle shaft"
so I put the unit back on the engine, made all connections, and...same thing, same issues, same experience

pretty much done with Fitech...not a good experience

stay tuned...John George and Mark...the coupe build is looking great!!

in other news...my friend from France who has Dave Standridge's blue corbra 2007 national champ car in France is visiting with Dave as I type...I have a feeling Dave will buy it back (impossible to register the car in France)

Tim

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,031 Posts
Tim!! give Mark and Brendan a call regarding the FiTech system, Brendan has installed them with great success in a couple of cars including his shop truck, and may have some answers on why its not working for you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
FiTech return authorization, #2

Hi all,

Super thanks to Brendan for his troubleshooting skills. He traced back 2 potential issues via text and photos in about 20 minutes.
a bit quicker than the dudes at FiTech, who have never truly diagnosed anything to date...they seem to pull arrows out of a quiver and shoot from the hip at the broad side of a barn.

Anyway...the fitech...again...is not seeing the rpm signal and thus has no rpm info...and thus, does not work
this was ultimately confirmed on the phone with fitech

RMA #2

so last time, in February I was RMA 17-092 which means that within the first 60 days of the year, fitech has assigned 92 RMA #s...or over 1 per day
will see what # I get this time to see if their rate has increased or decreased

John...the coupe is looking and sounding awesome!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
fitech gone, Edelbrock carb ON, I'm making noise again!!

hello FFCars campers,

some good news! and a little bad news (not that bad)

the good news: Fitech be gone! It came back from its second return trip to Fitech...I didn't even open the box, I sent it off to Brendan and Mark Dougherty along with all the other gizmos, wires, fuel lines, and some extra stuff I had ( I know they'll either diagnose and learn or use it for a good cause).
Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year...thanks for all the help over the years.

More of the good news: so I bought an inexpensive Edelbrock 600 cfm carb and a dual stage fuel regulator (converts the high pressure efi fuel system down to the low carb pressures)
The car runs great and is fun to rip around town (the newly pumped up 306 with FFR headers is tough, new FFR radiator stays cool, new Baer big brakes are strong, and the larger 275 Toyos are awesome).

The little bit of bad news (not that bad):
That carb is not for a zippy G-force generating race car with sticky tires. It floods easily going into turns, going around turns, and last night under some gigantic breaking (pads coming in) it flooded quite a bit (you can feel and hear it gagging on it's own fuel load). Lesson learned. :nerd: So no track time nor the better mountain roads for a bit (we have many awesome 3rd gear faster roads where the car pulls good G's as the roads go back-n-forth). All in due time, the girlfriend has fun driving it around to fetch some groceries. :smile2:

Also, the carb has an electric choke. The choke mechanism is nothing to write home about, it stuck or would not return or whatever it did after the first day...I called Mark and he instructed me on how to basically bypass and not use the choke (a cold start here in Santa Clara is 45 degrees...and maybe at that). I feather the throttle for a minute or two and it's all good....no worries.

Thus...in some number of minutes, Mark will call me back, and we will pick out the appropriate QuickFuel carb which will NOT flood going around turn 2 at Thunderhill and let me rev to nearly 6000 at the end of the front straight going into turn 1...nor the clover leaf on-ramps around town and awesome back roads. BTW...QuickFuel carbs are now on the Holley website, looks like they did the Silicon Valley thing and simply bought the competition. It happens and it's all good.

A few pics below of the car at the immediate moment; enjoy and best of luck on your projects!
carb 1; engine with air filter (I also have a chrome filter)
carb 2; with filter off
regulator 1; low side, or second regulator...set to 5.5 psi for the carb (aeromotive dual stage regulator...bolted to frame rail of the fire wall...it's solid)
regulator 2; high side, or first regulator...set to 20 psi...there is a line in from the tank and a return line, the efi fuel system in the fuel cell required no changes so pretty cool

GO JOHN GEORGE GO!!!!!

Attachments

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,629 Posts
With the flooding going on I'd be looking closely at float levels. Also there may be some 'roadrace' floats available.

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
Once you have the quick fuel, I recommend mechanical secondaries, all of your mentioned problems will go away. I does take some time to get the floats adjusted properly. Also you may want to pull the float adjusters and clean them every 6 months. I am in my 3rd season and It runs as flawlessly as EFI. The only trade off is gas mpg, Ford ECU EFI averaged 19 to 21 mpg the QF at best is 14 /15 crusing and 10ish getting on it hard.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts