Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, the setup... Radiator is a custom aluminum Ron Davis.... 16-an feed in, and 20-an feed out to a mezziere electric water pump. 180 degree stat.
What is happening w/ the system is ahat the temp is going up to 180 degrees, then when teh stat opens it kicks the temp back down to about 165. Then the stat closes, and BAM, back up to 180 again... This cycle just keeps reapeating itself over and over. I believe the constant "up and down" change in temp running throght the heads and intake, is causing a small leak through my intake gaskets, and the intake bolts seem to constanly need to be re-torqued. How can i stablilize my temp to get rid of this up/down cycle.... or is taht normal? -- THANKS-- Mike

MOre info.. this is with the elec fan running constantly

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,655 Posts
With the fan running constantly you might be cooling the water too much. Find out what your return temp from the rad is. Use a non contact temp gun. I would bet that you are coming back between 145-150*. 165-175* return would most likely even things out. You don't/shouldn't need to be running with the fan on all the time.

If you don't have a gun, I do. You live 15 minutes from me.

Olli

·
Senior Charter Member
1,056 Posts
I run a three row radiator from autozone, stock hoses and a three dollar t-stat.

I only turn on my fan on the hottest summer days while stuck in a traffice jam otherwise it is off.

Withn a few minutes, my water temp goes up to 180 and sticks there. I've tried a 160, 170 an 180 and the 195 is most stable.

I also monitor my oil temp which is normally about 190 but goes up to 210 at sustained high rpm highway rpms. The coolant temp stays at 180 even when the oil temp rises.

I run a super charger and when in boost I see the oil temp quickly rise but the coolant temp remains constant.

It sounds like you have a really nice "trick" setup. The question is do you really need a really nice "trick" setup? Maybe not.

[ May 13, 2004, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Bob Lennon ]

·
Senior Charter Member
552 Posts
Control the fan with a thermostat. My temp holds a constant 80 C and fan runs only when temp exceeds that.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys!! i remembered that i had a thermostat relay in the garage.. It's the one that has the bulb that gets pushed beween the radiator fins. I let the car run up to 185 then turned the dial on the relay until the fan kicked on... Seems to be running steady now at about 190

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.