Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on what I should use to power the cooling fan?

Can I splice the wire that was the power for the fog lamps right into one of the unused fusebox wires and use that for power?

I'm going to use a thermo. switch, so I don't need to connect it to a toggle switch.

·
Junior Charter Member
75 Posts
I used the fog lamp circuit and it's working fine. I chose not to use a thermostat, so I'm not sure what effect that would have.

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Hey Dan,
I went to your web site and then in a few seconds a car start sound came on. :D Is your engine running now? I like that sound bite, can you e-mail it? If so, [email protected] Thanks.

I still say the fan should be triggered by the VSS switch, when the car slows down. It would take some doing, but makes sense. (to me)

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Make sure you use a fan relay to prevent burning out the fuse, or melting the wire. Most fans draw 25A.

2FAST

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Ditto 2fast. Your fan tends to draw a bit of juice. You would be wise to run a relay. I used the relay / manifold switch from www.hotronicsproducts.com Very cool setup and easy to install. Reasonable in price too.

I also bought their cool down timer that allows the fan to run from 2 to 4 minutes (adjustable) after you turn the car off. It also provides for wiring to manually stop it.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I connected a pilot light on my dash to let me know when it's running....the only problem is the faster I drive the brighter the light gets, because the fan acts like a generator as you drive faster.
I am replacing the relay with a double pole to prevent fan from turning on the indicator light in the generator mode.
Most definitly use a T- stat control. One moment of forgetfulness and the car overheats.
I had this happen...sitting with the engine running and everyone saying this car looks cool....then coolant all over the driveway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts