Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched archives and current posts using "coolant capacity" and couldn't find out how much my motor/radiator holds? 302 with the Breeze rad,no de-gas tank. I'm thinking 3 Gal of anti-freeze should be enough? This thing can't hold more than 6 gallons?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I've got the FFR aluminum radiator and my 302 took 16 quarts total of h20/coolant mix.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Michael, Thanks, that should be pretty close to the Breeze rad.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
my 20+ years of experience says about 2.5 gallons uhhh wait thats 9.9 qts.Wow man. Dont forget to mix it 50/50.You'll have 1 gallon of anti freeze and 1 gallon of water . Then burp it several times and eyeball the fill quantity. Heres my 2 cents if the rad has a cap fill it first. Then remove the temp sender from the intake (or something else easy in the water passage) and see if you see coolant , if not fill through that hole and then replace whatever you took out . be sure to leave the T filler open while all this is going on. Then fill T filler its ok to have some spill out of the t filler while running have a drain bucket handy and remove all pets (especially cats ) squeeze hoses to help burp system while running once the engine burps ,could be a geyser , refill as needed. Several times. What else I've found helpful is watch the temp gage when it gets close to temp shut off the engine , a lot of times the hot coolant sitting in the engine will get a few degrees hotter while sitting and the tstat will open . Do not overheat. Have fun Bob

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Here in balmy SoCal, I use 30% antifreeze. That percentage seems to cool better than 50%.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I always went with a quart per cylinder. Works OK down here in Florida. Don't forget water pump lube/additive.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I filled mine from 2 locations, rear heater hose in intake manifold and filler cap in upper rad hose. I opened the petcock in top of radiator to bleed off air. When filled to top from both locations I added a quart or so to overflow tank and never looked back. I ran a couple of heat cool cycles to achieve equilibrium without opening the system. No burping required, no puking out the recovery tank and no overheating. Even with my 32 years of automotive experience it still took about 16 quarts.

Michael S.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Guessing in your location the car won't see any hard freezing temps? Start by adding 1 gallon of anti freeze followed by 3/4-to 1 gallon of water and keep doing this till full. Anti freeze needs water mixed with it for best cooling. you'll need to keep adding till it's done purging.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HS I used about 3.5 gallons total. Used 2 gal of coolant thinking I would need 2 more gal so I would be 50/50. BTW the Breeze system seems to work well. I'll check tonight to see if I can add more water.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Asyou do a few hot cold cycles you may find the overflow bottle might take some more but most of the air is probally gone by now. After I had the engine in each day I would start the engine and run it up to about 200-210* then allow it too cool down till next day. By the time I was together enough to drive and after about 5 of these cycles,had no overheat issues at all.
Can't recall but if you installed a heater be sure it is on the hot setting while burbing. The core can be a source of traped air bubble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts