Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My build is moving a little. Got the diff in and working on IRS components. Two questions: Does the diff have fluid in it already? And what size is this missing nut from the upper control arm? It's part # 3 in the picture, and I drew a yellow line where it goes. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
The diff most likely has no fluid, I would double check. Always double check everything for fluid before running. You should be able to unscrew the fill bolt and stick your finger in the hole. The full level should be right there at the hole, if it's full. With regards to the missing part, that part number should be reflected in your POL. However, I believe it's the 7/8" jam nut. Check your POL for 15900, that might be the part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What the thwrightstuff said, as per the DIFF, I only added 1 quart of fluid and 3 oz of friction modifier. That is because it already had 1qt of fluid and friction modifier. I called Ford Performance and they stated that sometimes they shipped out the DIFF with fluid already in it. I asked if there was and issues with the additional friction modifier I put in and was told "nothing to worry about" saved that email in case DIFF blows up. Either way I will be changing the DIFF fluid when I do an oil change after 500 miles on motor.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Depending on the fluid you get, you may not need to add a friction modifier. Look closely for that.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,382 Posts
I use Mobil1 75-90LS gear oil. The 'LS' stands for limited slip and indicates the oil is good to go as is.
Re nut; I wish I could remember but be sure to look at the threads on the rod end because they may be left hand.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
You don't need a nut on the rod end. It can't turn, the lock nut on the adjusting collar locks everything in place.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,382 Posts
You don't need a nut on the rod end. It can't turn, the lock nut on the adjusting collar locks everything in place.
No. There are two jam nuts. One locks the internal/external threaded sleeve to the control arm. The other locks the rod end into that sleeve.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
No. There are two jam nuts. One locks the internal/external threaded sleeve to the control arm. The other locks the rod end into that sleeve.
A bolt passes through the rod end, how can it turn? The only thing that turns is the internal/external threaded sleeve?

·
Registered
431 Posts
A bolt passes through the rod end, how can it turn? The only thing that turns is the internal/external threaded sleeve?
the jamb nut keeps the threads from loading and unloading. You may never pull the threads out, but with a jamb nut they will not.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,382 Posts
I saw this years ago as a lexus tech. Someone had done an alignment about a year prior and had forgotten to tighten the tie rod end jam nut. It came to the shop on a flat bed when the two pulled apart. Apparently you get a few 1/1000s of an inch clearance, the male threads keep beating on the female threads, and slowly but surely the threads disappear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts