Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking this question in many places, trying to get good feedback.

Never had the cable driven speedo close to accurate, so looking at the GPS. Not cheap, so wanting as much info as possible before thinking about pulling the trigger.

Looking for antenna location, accuracy, setting ODO, and more.

Got one not using?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
FWIW Just added a GPS Speedo. Put the antenna where I had the entertainment system one. That always gave me excellent reception.

Instructions

Most of the guys just put it up front under the cowl. It has a very long lead so I said why not, don't use the other antenna anymore, phone takes up that slack.

Install is cut the hole & follow the wiring diagram. That will get the speed. Mine also has a momentary contact switch. You can mount the switch anywhere the wire will reach. Mine is under the dash on the bottom lip.

The switch controls functions like 0-60 timing, 1/4 mile, clock, altitude, direction etc. That info, one thing at a time, shows up in the window at the bottom.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just put it under the dash on the passenger side. Works as it should. I will say, the features built into the speedo will have you out on a country road trying all the options. At least that's what a friend told me. :cool:

Scott

·
Charter Member
1,031 Posts
I've noticed a slight difference between ground speed and GPS speed on steep grades with my daily driver. While cruising at a constant speed I've noticed a 1 to 2 mph difference at highway speed. That's not much but it's something you might need to be aware of if you are in an area where there are speed traps.

·
Actual builder now!
1,485 Posts
I installed one to solve a sending unit problem at the transmission. Very happy. Works a charm. Since the body is fiberglass the antenna can go almost anywhere. Mine is in the trunk. Doubting friend asked "well what if you lose satellites in a tunnel?". I replied well I get slightly poorer gas mileage and put slightly less mileage on it. Besides, maybe it is better I don't know how fast I am going when listening to that explosive orchestra in a tunnel.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have also had very good results with mine...matched it with my phone GPS and both speed readings were the same. With the hot start wire connected, satellite acquisition is also quick (even in my northern locale). Good Luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I installed one to solve a sending unit problem at the transmission. Very happy. Works a charm. Since the body is fiberglass the antenna can go almost anywhere. Mine is in the trunk. Doubting friend asked "well what if you lose satellites in a tunnel?". I replied well I get slightly poorer gas mileage and put slightly less mileage on it. Besides, maybe it is better I don't know how fast I am going when listening to that explosive orchestra in a tunnel.
Tunnels.... Nearest highway tunnel to me is probably over 6-7 hours away. :D Out here on the wide open plains, the GPS works great!

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about putting the antenna on the dash? Will the windshield cause any problems?

Appreciate the comments, I'm probably going to install. My car, I change tires between street and track, so always different readings.

And, have to make sure I buy the kit: speedo and antenna.

Reactions: nyccobra

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
You can put the antenna anywhere. Why would you put it on the dash? Stick it out of sight under the body

·
Charter Member
3,448 Posts
So what brand and part number do you suggest? Can the speedo be purchased without all the other gauges. My speedo is working fine currently but I've had to replace the cable more then once.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,390 Posts
Evidence...don't speed, they could be watching you with a rig like that. some satellite system has a log file with your ID and knows where you went, and how fast you were going.

our cell phones already do that. i'm trying to stay off the grid.

Interesting though...

·
Premium Member
17,944 Posts
I use this.

Works fairly well, easy to install. BUT, it doesn't read anything at speeds <37mph. I don't know why. So, I'm not totally happy with it.

It also won't take the place of your cable. It only works on electric gauges.

·
Charter Member
63 Posts
I have an Autometer GPS in my 73 Bronco. It works well, but takes about a minute, after I pull out of the garage to “acquire signal”. My sensor is mounted on the dash.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Epoxy under the front deck. Works fine.
Antenna Location.jpg

Reactions: Chepsk8

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looking deeper, which GPS sensor has everybody used?

I see the Autometer and Dakota Digital, Summit, others?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts