Factory Five Racing Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
First Time Builder
336 Posts
On the paint; don’t try to spray straight through. Spray the pain at a 45-degree angle to the honeycomb, and hit the sheet from all four sides. Spray both front and back in that same fashion. What you are really coloring is the inside walls of the honeycomb, not so much the tips of the honeycomb.

That being said, it will take 2 cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: duncalope

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Every fix requires better parts, it's man law. I upgraded from the stock gt plasitc/metal radiator to the Mishimoto one. It's a piece of art, very nice radiator. I made a u channel at the base to hold the honeycomb then 2 pike zip ties in the very top. I tested the honeycomb at this angle with a fan on it and it didn't seem to reduce the airflow. Boy you guys weren't kidding about needing a couple cans of paint, just when you think you've got it covered you see it from a different angle.

Reactions: JRCuz

·
Registered
591 Posts
I also went through 2 cans of rattle can flat black and sprayed from several directions, I can still see areas where I didn't complete coverage.
JR

Reactions: duncalope

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I was concerned about reducing air flow, so I went with expanded SS. I used screen aluminum door frame to frame the expanded SS. I then used the industrial velcro to hold it in place. As said before, does not take a lot to secure it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just thinking about maybe protecting the radiator then bam, life hit me. It took the form of a random chunk of garbage at 60, could have hit flat. Naw, it's gotta harpoon right into the radiator and give me the first ride of shame on a tow truck.

View attachment 360870

The silly part is how cheap this protection is. Nomex Honeycomb Radiator Guard Protector Screen Mesh, 22 x 31
This
grill.jpg
is a grill I installed about 20 years ago in my FFR 1180K, It was a florescent light grill.
Bill

·
Registered
927 Posts
I was concerned about reducing air flow, so I went with expanded SS. I used screen aluminum door frame to frame the expanded SS. I then used the industrial velcro to hold it in place. As said before, does not take a lot to secure it.

View attachment 361039
are you using the peel and still 3m dual lock product? any issues w/ the heat from the radiator causing the adhesive to fail?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Had an accidental test of this honeycomb stuff. A piece went into the street and a car ran over it. I am shocked it only bent up a little bit around the tire. Pretty great stuff for 25 bucks.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
are you using the peel and still 3m dual lock product? any issues w/ the heat from the radiator causing the adhesive to fail?
Can't remember the specific product, purchased it at Home Depot. No issues with the velcro at all in the 4 years I ran the car and, to my knowledge, 2 more years with 2nd owner.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts