Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure why this didn’t post in the original post with the pics but here it is:

I ordered the honeycomb on amazon, just searched radiator protector I think. Allstar is the manufacturner. It was $30. I then used a Z bar To hold it in place and I can lift it up to remove the honeycomb. I got all this info from the other factory five forum

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
For those who have installed this how did you hold it in place?
for 5 bucks there's a kit of zip tie style pikes. they go through the radiator and have a little flat spot to support it. that's the easy way. I've seen some held in by the aluminum sheets that close in the nose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried something with the zip ties initially. If you do that, be careful not to tighten too much. I did and it crimped some of the radiator tubing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I always wondered it the screen in front of the radiator was really worth it or not. Now I am going to leave it on.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Off subject, but I do not think that radiator filler cap will be accessible where you have it mounted.
Just making a guess, since I am not near mine, right now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks but they don’t ship to Canada at all

I can buy it from Speedway’s ebay store and the shipping is $50, still ridiculous but better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Summitracing has an equivalent product by Allstar.

Summit shipping is fair for Canada.
Allstar products are also often easy to find locally.

R.

·
Junior Charter Member
736 Posts
Summitracing has an equivalent product by Allstar.

Summit shipping is fair for Canada.
Allstar products are also often easy to find locally.

R.
Thanks!
Shipping from summit is $18 + 10 duty!
Ordering two, one for me one for my dads car.

Reactions: totem

·
Registered
709 Posts
I went with the Breeze expanded aluminum kit that does the brake ducts and radiator openings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Off subject, but I do not think that radiator filler cap will be accessible where you have it mounted.
Just making a guess, since I am not near mine, right now.
I’m using the breeze hood hinge for that reason. I’ve kind of been wondering about that also, so the breeze hopefully will fix that. It opens the hood outside of the hood opening.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I used stainless mesh from Pegasus Auto Racing - here's the description: medium mesh stainless, #6 x .035 Wire, 18 x 24" sheet
View attachment 360892
do you have that mesh sitting right on the radiator, or do you have spacers between the mesh and the rad? any issues w/ the everson nose aluminum fittment?

·
First Time Builder
335 Posts
I went with the honeycomb material, recommended by Bruce, in addition to a black extruded mesh screen. The combo keeps 95% of the bugs out as well.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I installed the honeycomb nomex from Speedway years ago. I trimmed it to fit snugly and installed a Z-shaped piece of aluminum at the bottom that I got from McMaster-Carr to keep it from lifting from the wind.

Reactions: duncalope

·
349 Posts
I’m going to check out this honeycomb Nomex. My concern is that it will impede the airflow and reduce cooling, since I need all the cooling I can get.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was just thinking about maybe protecting the radiator then bam, life hit me. It took the form of a random chunk of garbage at 60, could have hit flat. Naw, it's gotta harpoon right into the radiator and give me the first ride of shame on a tow truck.

View attachment 360870

The silly part is how cheap this protection is. Nomex Honeycomb Radiator Guard Protector Screen Mesh, 22 x 31
I was just thinking about maybe protecting the radiator then bam, life hit me. It took the form of a random chunk of garbage at 60, could have hit flat. Naw, it's gotta harpoon right into the radiator and give me the first ride of shame on a tow truck.

View attachment 360870

The silly part is how cheap this protection is. Nomex Honeycomb Radiator Guard Protector Screen Mesh, 22 x 31
Decided to do this after reading this post. Plan to go with the Nomex Honeycomb. To those who have used this and painted it. Did you just use regular spray paint of something special (like header paint)? Second when I went to speedway to purchase it the material was like $29 and the shipping was $23. I went on ebay and speedway had it listed for $30 and $6.95 shipping. I know it's not a fortune but $20 is $20 I can spend on something else.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Used Rustoleum rattle can black backyard grill paint @ Home Depot. Note this stuff sucks up paint like a sponge, buy more than one can.

EDIT: On painting. Our property includes a small woods. Took the full sheet & hung it vertically from a branch so the spray would pass through the honeycomb. The sheet has a lot of surface area to cover.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
No problem with overheating......my engine runs at 180 all day long! I used a high temp silver for mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I added one today, people are right about it using a lot of paint. I got mine from Amazon with a one day delivery. The hardest part for me was removing and re-installing the radiator shroud. I used the through the radiator zip-tie type straps.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts