Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about maybe protecting the radiator then bam, life hit me. It took the form of a random chunk of garbage at 60, could have hit flat. Naw, it's gotta harpoon right into the radiator and give me the first ride of shame on a tow truck.

The silly part is how cheap this protection is. Nomex Honeycomb Radiator Guard Protector Screen Mesh, 22 x 31

·
Junior Charter Member
738 Posts
Wow, same thing happened to me at the track last month,

Guy in the other lane scattered his hell housing a cross the track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Did mine in May 2014, about 15,000 miles ago. Same piece is still in use. Works very well.

EDIT: Used the zip retainers that Speedway sells along with the Nomex.

Reactions: duncalope

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,055 Posts
Yup!! Yrs ago on a cruise over in Idaho(500mi from home) A rock found my radiator! Fixed radiator and installed Nomex-Honeycomb. Many 1,000s miles later and no more problems with rocks,birds,ect! Just saying

·
Registered
263 Posts
Convinced me! I ordered one tonight!

Reactions: duncalope

·
Junior Charter Member
738 Posts
Does anyone sell that besides speedway?
They want $95 to ship to Canada :(

·
179 Posts
For those who have installed this how did you hold it in place?

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I used four small zip ties, just poked through the honeycomb & through the radiator fins. I didn't secure the backs at all.

John

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I formed a hot glue 1/2" bead on the sides & bottom of the Nomex (that looks just like a weld) .Then painted the entire inside of the nose area with flat black paint.Used hot glue so if, and when, the Nomex needed removal it would be easy.
So far (after 4 years) its held securely in place.:)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Does anyone sell that besides speedway?
They want $95 to ship to Canada :(

I think walmart's website has it too.

·
Junior Charter Member
738 Posts
I think walmart's website has it too.
Thanks but they don’t ship to Canada at all

I can buy it from Speedway’s ebay store and the shipping is $50, still ridiculous but better.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I went to a security door company. They supplied me with powder coated black aluminium security mesh. It is normally fitted in screen doors and windows (to keep the bugs and criminals out. Also provided a perimeter frame, also in black. Very strong and no issues with air flow. The company cut it to size and riveted together for less than $100

Cheers, Nigel

·
Registered
591 Posts
I got mine from Speedway and at the time had not thought about securing it. When I was checking out they had a customers also bought section and one item was Honeycomb Mounting Kit their part #910-23108
JR

Reactions: GUARDDOGG

·
Administrator
6,998 Posts

I'll have to verify if my supplier still has 4'x4' sheets of nomex. It was incredibly cheap, possibly mis-marked. Super lightweight and paintable. Stuff works great, and I didn't need anything to hold it in. I have upper and lower shrouds so the air is forced through the rad. Hasn't moved since it was installed.
:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Stainless mesh. Capture that with angle and flat stock aluminum. Mount it with standoffs that are easy to fabricate. I had my assembly power coated. Provides really good protection.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I used stainless mesh from Pegasus Auto Racing - here's the description: medium mesh stainless, #6 x .035 Wire, 18 x 24" sheet

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Registered
796 Posts
I did same as CRANDOLPH.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts