Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A big congratulations to Brian Dinsmore for running a 10.74, 1/4 mile time. Speed was 123 something. There is a video of the run, and he pulls the front wheels off the ground in 1st and 2nd. What a beast!

Comon' Brian, post the video!

Hank
FFR 1776-II

· Registered
777 Posts
Congratuations Brian! I thought the new gears would help you break into the 10's
. That's wickedly quick for a street car! And a testament to the mighty 289. Please post the video for those of us who can't wait to see it :D !! And please tell us more about the run(s). What rpms did you launch at, shift to 2nd, go through the traps? Are your new axles holding up better? Is the car squirrley on the top end? I can't wait to see the video!

Thanks for posting this Hank. Did you get your new chassis sorted out yet? How do you like the new car with IRS and the .83 overdrive?

Mike

· Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Mike,

Almost completed on the sort out. Thanks for asking. Actual track time coming in Aug. at NHIS and Watkins Glen. :D

Love the .83 overdrive. Really pulls. I wish I had 3:55s for rearend gears. A little short on the top end and through the gears. ;)

Hank
FFR 1776-II

12,704 Posts
Originally posted by Hank Dondero:
Hi Mike,

Love the .83 overdrive. Really pulls. I wish I had 3:55s for rearend gears. A little short on the top end and through the gears. ;)

Hank
FFR 1776-II
HANK,

Ive always said the 3.27 gears and the .83OD is a perfect combo. BECAUSE, you can run 140 at 6000rpm in 4th. WHAT rear do you have??

What engine is BRIAN running in that beast??

earl

· Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Hey Guys.......... Thanks for the mostly nice words! It was fun and I'm very pleased with the times. Of course I want to go faster :D I have a video from my digital still camera but have no idea how to post it. Its pretty cool! HELP.
Mike the gears helped some but mostly its me learning to drive again. Open headers helped too! My best short time was 1.45 leaving at 6500rpm. I would never of believed it myself. HOLD ON! First gear comes up so fast I just shift it by the seat of my pants. The other gears about 7000-7200 rpm. I made about 12 passes. worst one 11.20 I made 3 in the 10.7 range to back up the # I have them all on 8mm. Went thru the traps mostly at 122-123. Had one pass where it ran 101 in the 1/8th at 6.85 I think. It kinda dies in the top end a little bit. Guess its no Big block. :eek:
Brian

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Brian, wwwoooiiieee... you broke into the magic ten’s! That’s is flying! Screw the top end... it’s the time that counts big guy! I’ve seen rods slightly bigger on the top end than their opponents and loose with their time... it happens. The idea is to get “there” QUICK... and you do! That is one bad SB (a registered streeter yet) not to screw with. Please try to get that video to one of the guys to post... with sound! Don’t shorten or edit that baby... the bigger the MPEG the better! Congratulations! :D

· Registered
482 Posts
Originally posted by BobAruba:
...Screw the top end... it’s the time that counts big guy!
ET = Traction "Quick"
MPH = Horsepower "Fast"

I much prefer "fast" whereas others prefer "quick". "Fast" (mph) is what presses you into the seat.

A good ET like Brians is essentially a traction competition for the first 60'. The rest is horsepower or "top end". Brian's 60' is good. Normally that mph won't get you into the 10.70s for "normal" cars but the car is light and hooks real hard off the line. If you are standing still then the et would be the quicker car. But if the car is rolling MPH/"top end" is the only thing that counts.

That's a great time, Brian. Are you shifting the car that high with a hydraulic cam?

Jim

· Registered
482 Posts
Originally posted by Qwik 1:
Jim...... I guess that's why my license plate says "Qwik 1" and not..."Fast 1"
Geeze its only a 289 w NO power adders. It has a mechanical roller cam. How fast is fast anyway? Brian
Brian, I think you misunderstood my comments. I wasn't replying to you and wasn't being critical of the performance of your car. I was just trying to point out to Bob that there are different ways of looking at dragstrip numbers depending on what you want out of the car.

Your car runs well and you should be proud.

Take care.

Jim

· Registered
777 Posts
Thanks David! And thank again Brian!

Gary, you mean the part where Brian said
best short time was 1.45 leaving at 6500rpm
wasn't a tip off :D You know I'm just kidding with ya!

Mike

BTW, sweet 60' time Brian! Man you sure can drive that thing. Great video. I don't know how you shift so quickly
. What are you doing for headers/sidepipes? I'm getting ready to build a set of headers for the 351C in our roadster and wanted to option of running dumps as well. Thanks for the informative post and the entertaining video!

[ July 26, 2002, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: MikeBraddock ]

· Registered
1,378 Posts
Seems to have a problem with Wheel-Hop; front that is... :D
Looks/Sounds Great!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.