·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question about fitting things together. We are using:
- a regular Mustang GT rear axle and diff
- the 3-link suspension package
- a complete 94 Cobra brake kit

The assembly instructions, particularly around how to route the brake lines, don't provide much detail on working around the 3-link setup.

When we spoke to Breeze Automotive, they said that the stock calipers and mounting position would interfere with the Koni struts that come with the 3-link package. And thus, they recommended that we flip the caliper mounting plates and mount the calipers forward of the rotor, instead of behind. Has anyone heard of this?

Furthermore, they said that the Cobra brakes might be outsized enough that they could clear the struts mounted in the usual way.

Questions:
- has anyone had experience mounting the calipers forward? Breeze suggested that this would be a matter of swapping the mounting plates and calipers left to right.
- if you did it, was it because you wanted to, or were physically forced to?
- What did you do with the moan braces? As we see it, rotating the moan braces 180 deg would run them into the quad shock mounts, which means either losing the braces or cutting off the mounts. Do people normally run without the moan braces?

If anyone has used this combination (3-link and Cobra brakes), can you give us some insight on how you did it? Any pictures would be absolutely fantastic reference.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,970 Posts
I used a solid axle 8.8 setup with 2000 Mustang GT brakes.

I had to mount my calipers in the front because I am using pin drive setup with a shortened solid axle housing. When the housing was being shortened, they used new 9 inch ends on the housing and nounted the caliper brackets on the ends. I think they had to machine the brackets a little but other than switching sides, that's all they had to do. Running the brake lines wasn't a problem.

I was forced to switch them because the calipers would not clear the shocks otherwise.

The lower control arm brackets remain unchanged.

Marc

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more question -- how many people are trying to do without a softline from the body to the axle/diff?

For reference, this is how David Ozenne did it:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4662/138/1600/IMG_1424.jpg
Hardline from the frame into a softline, which goes onto the diff.

This is intended to be a strict track car, so the fewer rubber bits (whether or not they're in stainless steel), the easier it'll be to maintain.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
No flex line to the diff center for me. With rear discs, you need flex at the calipers anyway, so the hard line is on the frame on each side.

I swapped the caliper brackets and mounted on the front side to necessitate better brake line routing with Koni's. Of course, axle shafts come out to do this, but not a real big deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts