Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Ed,
I have a 1989 computer that I think I might have damaged due to shorting the wires to the TAD and the other ones that go to the other emission valve. I noticed "little puffs of elec. smoke" from the computer after starting the engine up. I quickly shut the engine down but I think that damage was done even though the engine still starts and runs. The idle is not even now, it speeds up and slows down rather than maintaining a steady idle. Does this sound like computer problems? What should I do about the computer and should I think about buying a rebuilt one from Auto Zone or some other source? Advice?????
Thanks, Craig Small

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Ed, Hope you don't mind me poking in on this. I feel I have some experience in this area, having spent a few months working on my harness myself.

Puffs of smoke are almost always a bad sign. You might be ok though.

You need to eliminate the problem in your wiring harness or other components before you think about putting another EEC on that big connector. The EEC boxes supposedly have some level of input protection from wiring harness issues, but it's not bullet proof.

I would start by obtaining a manual for the wiring harness for your year of car. Test the leads to the EEC at the connector, but be carefull about what size test probe you shove into the pins of the connector! If you expand them at all, you can easily create a problem. Use something smaller like a paper clip. Test the leads to ground.

Test the signal leads at the connector for all of the sensor circuits, and also check your power and grounds. Some of the leads have minimum resistance readings that you should check. If they are out of spec ( too low a resistance ) they could be a serious problem/short.

Be carefull not to leave your volt meter on Ohms when you test for 12v on a hot wire. You can blow a fuse in your meter or worse depending on the model.

Your best bet might be to send your whole harness to somebody like Roger Stine to have it trimmed and also tested. Additionaly, I would find somebody with a Mustang or another FFR with mass air, and let them toss your EEC on their car to confirm it's condition. Roger may also be able to test your EEC, but I'm not sure.

Good luck

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts